Mink in Sheffield

Guest makapaka
9 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Except that you need to replace "killing" with "removed to the mainland".

Mink and other invasive species cannot by law be released.

Ok relocation would be more acceptable in the case of the hedgehogs.

although you did actually say “culling hedgehogs” in your post so it’s not unreasonable for me to assume you meant culling is it?

12 hours ago, makapaka said:

Why?

Big rats at best 

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

Ok relocation would be more acceptable in the case of the hedgehogs.

although you did actually say “culling hedgehogs” in your post so it’s not unreasonable for me to assume you meant culling is it?

When I said "...culling hedgehogs...", I meant "...culling...".

To my generation and background it means to manage a population of animals.

This is done everyday throughout the country when "humans" who own animals, kill their cats, dogs, sheep, etc. or parks, golf courses, gardens to "improve" a population or create a pleasing ecology on their land.

In the case of hedgehogs it is to remove a population which has a damaging effect the ecology of a whole island. In this case the original plan to exterminate the population became one of removal and released because of public concern and money..

We must take responsibility for our actions and protect a whole ecology.

Guest makapaka
9 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

When I said "...culling hedgehogs...", I meant "...culling...".

To my generation and background it means to manage a population of animals.

This is done everyday throughout the country when "humans" who own animals, kill their cats, dogs, sheep, etc. or parks, golf courses, gardens to "improve" a population or create a pleasing ecology on their land.

In the case of hedgehogs it is to remove a population which has a damaging effect the ecology of a whole island. In this case the original plan to exterminate the population became one of removal and released because of public concern and money..

We must take responsibility for our actions and protect a whole ecology.

Culling means selective slaughter and always has done.

nevertheless - why do we think we are qualified to decide moving the hedgehogs now is a good thing - if moving them there in the first place was our idea and has proven to be a bad thing.

maybe we should just leave well alone? 

43 minutes ago, spider1 said:

Big rats at best 

That’s not a reason.

1 minute ago, makapaka said:

nevertheless - why do we think we are qualified to decide moving the hedgehogs now is a good thing - if moving them there in the first place was our idea and has proven to be a bad thing.

That’s not a reason.

What would you rather have down your garden 2 hedgehogs or 2 big rats 

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

That’s not a reason.

We think we're qualified because,hopefully, we're qualified. If you don't manage certain species - kill/cull/move - you'll see other species die out.

Are we the problem 99% of the time? Should we try and redress the balance? I my opinion, yes.

Guest makapaka
31 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

We think we're qualified because,hopefully, we're qualified. If you don't manage certain species - kill/cull/move - you'll see other species die out.

Are we the problem 99% of the time? Should we try and redress the balance? I my opinion, yes.

The example given is where “qualified” people moved them in there in the first place. 

2 hours ago, makapaka said:

The example given is where “qualified” people moved them in there in the first place.  

Who were and what did  the "...."qualified" people..." move?

Guest makapaka
55 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Who were and what did  the "...."qualified" people..." move?

Hedgehogs to control slugs?

39 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Hedgehogs to control slugs?

Who were the "..."qualified" people..."?

Guest makapaka
10 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Who were the "..."qualified" people..."?

I don’t know - but someone who considered themselves qualified enough to to do it.

why does it matter?

the wider point is why people in this country  consider ourselves fit to interfere initially and posthumously in matters of nature.

who are we to say minks should be killed and rabbits should survive - that’s the point I’m making.

22 minutes ago, makapaka said:

I don’t know - but someone who considered themselves qualified enough to to do it.

why does it matter?

the wider point is why people in this country  consider ourselves fit to interfere initially and posthumously in matters of nature.

who are we to say minks should be killed and rabbits should survive - that’s the point I’m making.

It’s not just rabbits - they’re classed as pests anyway I think - but mink will hoover up all sorts eggs and they’ll not care if those eggs come from chickens or rare birds. 

https://www.norfolkwildlifetrust.org.uk/wildlife-in-norfolk/species-explorer/mammals/american-mink