Mink in Sheffield

On 16/04/2019 at 17:34, NewBiz said:

Oh actually 2 years ago the place was alive with rabbits, and now there aren't any. 

i've done a fair bit of googling today and apparently there was already a well-established wild population long before any mink were released by animal right activists

No mink in the don until the animal rights released them without thinking of the effects on other species. All mink in this country are descended from fur farm escapees.

On 25/04/2019 at 19:04, lottiecass said:

No mink in the don until the animal rights released them without thinking of the effects on other species. All mink in this country are descended from fur farm escapees.

All mink in this country are indeed from fur farm escapees, but there was already an established population before any were released by animal rights activists ie they had escaped

5 hours ago, NewBiz said:

All mink in this country are indeed from fur farm escapees, but there was already an established population before any were released by animal rights activists ie they had escaped

Not round here there wasn't, the mink that were released were the first, those that survived that is.

Yesterday morning my teenage daughter went to feed her rabbits before school and was greeted by the horrendous sight of her two rabbits dead. Inside the hutch was another creature running around and husband tipped the hutch to see a long black animal inside he opened the door and out shot out a mink (we have it on camera). There is no mistaking a mink and a rat totally different body shape as it long like a weasel/stoat. I reported this to the RSPCA and was informed we wouldn’t be prosecuted because we didn’t know it was a mink before letting it go! It’s illegal to let these into the wild because basically they are just a killing machine.

On 12/02/2020 at 18:11, Klwalker said:

Yesterday morning my teenage daughter went to feed her rabbits before school and was greeted by the horrendous sight of her two rabbits dead. Inside the hutch was another creature running around and husband tipped the hutch to see a long black animal inside he opened the door and out shot out a mink (we have it on camera). There is no mistaking a mink and a rat totally different body shape as it long like a weasel/stoat. I reported this to the RSPCA and was informed we wouldn’t be prosecuted because we didn’t know it was a mink before letting it go! It’s illegal to let these into the wild because basically they are just a killing machine.

The RSPCA can't prosecute, they're a charity with no official powers.

Basically they couldn't care less about Mink as they get them no publicity and therefore no income. 

Mink are non indigenous species which as you state are killing machines and are decimating our native species. There are also many other non indigenous species causing havoc to the natural balance. Due to the actions of the few misguided soles working under the animal/bird protection and running hate campaigns against anyone taking action you rarely hear about these species.

I'm sorry for your daughter, it's not anything I would like to find. A pet, any pet is part of the family and doesn't deserve that. I hope she gets over it soon.

38 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Its called a private prosecution. Anyone can do it, and the RSPCA do it a lot (somewhat controversially). Personally I think that the ability to bring a private prosecution is a relic from the 18th century and should be abolished.

On 17/04/2019 at 12:14, lil-minx92 said:

Its  a big dirty rat! It probably has a nest under your shed. Just leave some veg outside for it so it doesnt have to gnaw through the wall.

Yes its a rat but more than one perfect enviroment tor them / Get a rat trap or make one yourself  easy enough

Sorry to hear of your daughter's horrendous find. One of my relatives used to hunt mink because of how destructive they can be. The weapon he has now is not powerful enough to kill them humanly so he builds traps. You can buy them at around 10-15 pounds each.

Edited by Squimage

Mink voracious predators. Very bad for our native animals!!!

Guest makapaka
On 14/02/2020 at 07:31, Centrepin said:

Basically they couldn't care less about Mink as they get them no publicity and therefore no income. 

Mink are non indigenous species which as you state are killing machines and are decimating our native species. There are also many other non indigenous species causing havoc to the natural balance. Due to the actions of the few misguided soles working under the animal/bird protection and running hate campaigns against anyone taking action you rarely hear about these species.

I'm sorry for your daughter, it's not anything I would like to find. A pet, any pet is part of the family and doesn't deserve that. I hope she gets over it soon.

I always find this sort of thing a bit unsettling.

the mink didn’t upset the natural balance - we did - we brought them here so we could kill them to make nice coats.

we decided to put rabbits in huts as sitting ducks - not the mink.

we decimate habitats to build Barrat  homes - not grey squirrels. 

and now people want to kill the mink - for eating things to survive.

wrong in my eyes.

Edited by makapaka

On 14/02/2020 at 07:31, Centrepin said:

The RSPCA do have certain legal powers and are legally allowed, can and do bring prosecutions to prevent cruelty.

"The authority of the RSPCA Council Trustees to institute criminal proceedings pursuant to the Royal
Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1932 is delegated to the Prosecutions Department...".

There have been several controversial cases in recent times where the RSPCA have been accused of being to eager to prosecute. 

3 hours ago, makapaka said:

I always find this sort of thing a bit unsettling.

the mink didn’t upset the natural balance - we did - we brought them here so we could kill them to make nice coats.

we decided to put rabbits in huts as sitting ducks - not the mink.

we decimate habitats to build Barrat  homes - not grey squirrels. 

and now people want to kill the mink - for eating things to survive.

wrong in my eyes.

Introducing and removing species be, it plant or animal, can and does effect habitats and their ecology.

There are no natural habitats left in England, most of which this is due to human intervention over 2000+

With so much of the natural ecology missing, human intervention has always been needed.

The type and amount of intervention is subject to hot debate, very little of it rational, most of it knee jerk and rarely holistic. Economics, environmentalist politics, local politics, short term and incomplete planning and continuity make things harder.

Removing an invasive species is sometimes essential and in a few cases a legal requirement due to health or economic damage, sometimes necessary in order to protect a natural habitat, sometimes needed to encourage the reestablishment of a natural habitat.

Not removing mink would undermine the ability to re create the natural succession of a habitat.