Mink in Sheffield

Just found another site that says mink do become herbivorous if circumstances demand it, so who knows, but maybe it a very dark rat

Mum and dad have had minks on their garden. My dad has a video of it. They live at wharncliffe side and the river is at the bottom of their garden. 

48 minutes ago, bertyboop said:

Mum and dad have had minks on their garden. My dad has a video of it. They live at wharncliffe side and the river is at the bottom of their garden. 

There's a river about 400 yrds from me, and there's only fields in between, so could be

Well you know what you got to do then don't you, you got to sit and watch the shed with a camera till it appears then you can show us what it is.😁

2 hours ago, bertyboop said:

Sure theyre not otters? 

2 hours ago, lil-minx92 said:

Sure theyre not otters? 

Doubtful, otters are really quite large. I don't doubt there are potentially some about these parts though.

On 16/04/2019 at 17:34, NewBiz said:

Oh actually 2 years ago the place was alive with rabbits, and now there aren't any. 

i've done a fair bit of googling today and apparently there was already a well-established wild population long before any mink were released by animal right activists

Do you know how to get  hold of a ranger to ask about the mink?

I'm sure it wasnt an otter, it came right up the garden so he got some good shots of it. There are otters too, but never known them to venture up into the garden. If I can find a way for him to upload the video from apple to android, I'll share it here. 

The mink were mentioned at the otters in Sheffield talk I went to last year so yes, we do have mink on the Don, they coexist with the otters. 

They don't come into conflict with each other generally  but they do have the habit of eating each other kits if they can find them 

18 hours ago, Joe Blogs said:

Do you know how to get  hold of a ranger to ask about the mink?

Head lock?

On 17/04/2019 at 12:14, lil-minx92 said:

Its  a big dirty rat! It probably has a nest under your shed. Just leave some veg outside for it so it doesnt have to gnaw through the wall.

James Cagney then eh?

When I worked on a mink farm (in the late 1960s) people used to bring us captured "mink", but they usually turned out to be polecats or ferrets.  Mink aren't indigenous to the UK, wild mink are the result of escapes or misguided releases by animal rights activists.  They had an exclusively meat (mostly offal) based diet and they have a strong blood lust so I doubt that it's mink pinching your horse's carrots and apples.