Are bats roosting on the norton aerodrome?

Has anyone else seen bats on the old Norton aerodrome site? I wondered if they were roosting there in the old buildings. There are loads flying round on a mild evening. Some quite big ones which could be Noctules. 

Mark

its in the fly zone they use i am told,there are loads in greenhill/bradway,norton and graves park areas

Yes there are bats on there but seen as though the management of the driving school on there are always out on there shooting wildlife and birds it's a wonder they haven't disturbed them.

Posted (edited)

Why are the management  shooting birds and wildlife?

Edited by Janus

Posted (edited)

Because the driving school use the old aircraft hangers to store things in.  As there are very large holes in the roofs of these buildings many birds nest in there.  The birds then poo all over their stuff so out comes the gun, resulting in lots of dead birds.  I reported them about a year ago but they obviously haven't been stopped as I saw it happen again only last week as I regularly walk my dog on the old aerodrome site.  Not sure what else they shoot but they are seen regularly sat with a gun in the long grass as if in wait for something.  I felt sick to my stomach to see so many dead birds.

Edited by whitemary328

Posted (edited)

So the birds they shoot are not limited to pigeons?

Was it the RSPCB that you reported them to?

Edited by Janus

Posted (edited)

Yes along with other authorities.   They shoot any birds that are nesting in the roof.  The shooting probably does disturb the bats but it appears nobody is bothered.  As for the pigeons there's usually loads of them lying around dead.  I personally am not keen on pigeons but don't agree with shooting them in a place like that as it is a wooded area and a perfect place for them.  Maybe they should get the roof repaired instead of shooting the birds.  

Edited by whitemary328

Would it be DEFRA that would deal with this situation? 

According to the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981...

Protection of wild birds, their nests and eggs.E+W

(1)Subject to the provisions of this Part, if any person intentionally—

(a)kills, injures or takes any wild bird;

[F2(aa)takes, damages or destroys the nest of a wild bird included in Schedule ZA1;]

(b)takes, damages or destroys the nest of any wild bird while that nest is in use or being built; or

(c)takes or destroys an egg of any wild bird,

he shall be guilty of an offence.

The whole act is here...

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/69

It's alright having all these 'Acts' but reports are often not looked into properly.  It's very frustrating when you know what is happening but whatever you do doesn't change anything.  If someone would like to take this matter up then please do so.

The RSPCA seem to be very keen to pursue issues with animals. 

If the RSPCB  are  as keen I am surprised at no action.

2 hours ago, Janus said:

The RSPCA seem to be very keen to pursue issues with animals. 

If the RSPCB  are  as keen I am surprised at no action.

R.S.P.B  . Sorry to be pedantic

ive been trying to get through to rspca for a week imposible.its all press 1 2 3 4 5 6 and you just get a try our web site or the council...………….Sheffield branch don't even answer