Are bats roosting on the norton aerodrome?

1 hour ago, melv said:

All local councils and planning committees are very wary of creating a precedent over building on green belt land. The legalities would be enormous, with property companies, planners and local residents taking cases through the court system. The legal fees could be astronomical.

I don't know why immigration comes into the discussion?

they may be wary but its time now to open up these semi greenfield sites to all developers, once designated for building it should be straightforward.

we need more housing and infrastructure for 1 very simple reason, the country is overcrowded especially inner cities, so these pieces of land need to be built on to relieve the pressure, its not hard really is it/

2 hours ago, ab6262 said:

they may be wary but its time now to open up these semi greenfield sites to all developers, once designated for building it should be straightforward.

we need more housing and infrastructure for 1 very simple reason, the country is overcrowded especially inner cities, so these pieces of land need to be built on to relieve the pressure, its not hard really is it/

Property developers building on greenbelt land won't be constructing houses for relieving inner city residents, unless councils get involved. Then you'll get the NIMBYs involved.

Norton Aerodrome is crying out to built on, however, things are much easier said than done.

2 minutes ago, melv said:

Property developers building on greenbelt land won't be constructing houses for relieving inner city residents, unless councils get involved. Then you'll get the NIMBYs involved.

Norton Aerodrome is crying out to built on, however, things are much easier said than done.

i agree but the idea is to get people to move up one, i know easier said than done.

On 18/04/2021 at 16:08, melv said:

I understand that the site is a mix of brownfield and greenbelt land, so it won't be easy to build on. The complexities of building on greenbelt are numerous, otherwise, I'm sure that it would have been built on.

There was a rumour that it was to become a new hospital..that was some years ago.

Back in the 1970's it was the site for a proposed third DGH for Sheffield - however it was shortly after decided to expand capacity at the Northern General instead.

AFAIK the land was still owned by the NHS in the 1990's and may still be.

The history of the site is interesting. There are some well researched publications regarding RAF Norton, which was very busy in the 1920's as a bomber maintainance unit. 

The site was acquired - from the farmer(s) by the Air Ministry. The understanding was that it would revert to farmland when the RAF has no further use, but it wasn't that simple....!  The council 'obtained' much of the Western end of the field and built schools of various sizes. And Dyche Lane was widened and extended, etc. Bear in mind that the County boundary moved as well...  The rump of the airfield was used for warehousing, and part left empty but I am not sure if these were built by the freeholder of the leaseholder. The ultimate ownership has always been a bit clouded. 

But it must be a valuable site in this day and age, being right on the edge of he city. But as a small boy I always looked forward to "Battle Of Britain" day, when we had fly pasts over the site and suchlike. Happy days. 

1 hour ago, Cyclecar said:

The history of the site is interesting. There are some well researched publications regarding RAF Norton, which was very busy in the 1920's as a bomber maintainance unit. 

The site was acquired - from the farmer(s) by the Air Ministry. The understanding was that it would revert to farmland when the RAF has no further use, but it wasn't that simple....!  The council 'obtained' much of the Western end of the field and built schools of various sizes. And Dyche Lane was widened and extended, etc. Bear in mind that the County boundary moved as well...  The rump of the airfield was used for warehousing, and part left empty but I am not sure if these were built by the freeholder of the leaseholder. The ultimate ownership has always been a bit clouded. 

But it must be a valuable site in this day and age, being right on the edge of he city. But as a small boy I always looked forward to "Battle Of Britain" day, when we had fly pasts over the site and suchlike. Happy days. 

When I worked for the NHS back in the 70's and 80's I used to send invoices to the warehouses (old aircraft hangers?) and driving school in the name of "Special Trustees for the Former United Sheffield Hospitals"