Advice please on faulty goods and getting my money back!...

Let me guess which store group we are talking about here? does it sound like your favourite dish from the indian subcontinent? If so you are really up against it, they have an absolutely appalling customer service record (do a google) and you will struggle to get even your basic consumer rights with them. If you really want to go up against them get every thing prepared beforehand and be sure you talk to the shop manager, make a note of his name and find out who his immediate superior is, then you can write to that superior and complain about the managers attitude later (believe me you will need to) Do not accept their company policy excuse, take with you the relevant parts of the consumer protection legislation (again google for them)covered in yellow highlighter so you can find the clauses you need and stick to you guns, don't leave the shop without your refund and don't let them take you into an office, make your claim for your rights in the public area of the shop so other customers can hear how you are being treated.

I had a bad experience with a video recorder that lost its EPROM programme and was on the point of taking "the boys" to the shop and sorting it out in a method that would not need the support of the sale of goods act, at the end of the day I got satisfaction but with all the time, petrol and grief I still felt ripped off and now will not even go into their shops for a look. Of course it may be a different shop altogether but my advice stands.

Let me guess which store group we are talking about here? does it sound like your favourite dish from the indian subcontinent?

Do Curry's sell whistling kettles?

I assume the kettle had water in it.

Kettles are designed to transfer heat to water, as it isn’t under pressure the maximum heat of the water should be around 100C.

Stove enamelling is usually applied at temperatures in excess of 800C (I know ours work at 830C)

Sounds like either the enamelling hasn’t been applied correctly/is poor quality or the design is appalling in its ability to transfer heat to the water.

Either way, not fit for purpose

Thanks so much for all your help. Only just logged on after posting to check if anyone will have replied. You've all given me lots of helpful advice and def going to keep at this one. I shall let you know how things go. Also sorry to anyone who pm'd me i cannot respond yet cos i've not posted enough on here. The kettle is actually from Professional Cookware Co for those of you who were asking. Thanks again

Let me guess which store group we are talking about here? does it sound like your favourite dish from the indian subcontinent?

Actually that is the store I was talking about(see my previous post) I had no problem sorted in about 20 minutes.Firm but polite,don't walk in ranting and raving.

PS I don't know a store called chicken tikka massalah. :rolleyes:

To revive thisTopic. Can anyone give me the relevant.clause to quote about rejecting a faulty fridge freezer. I bought it new 6 weeks ago and after complaining since I bought it I have just had their engineer out to tell me it is faulty. The manager is saying that I cannot reject it because I have had it for more than 28 days.

To revive thisTopic. Can anyone give me the relevant.clause to quote about rejecting a faulty fridge freezer. I bought it new 6 weeks ago and after complaining since I bought it I have just had their engineer out to tell me it is faulty. The manager is saying that I cannot reject it because I have had it for more than 28 days.

Sale of Goods act. Goods have to be sufficiently durable.

However that doesnt mean you have a right to a refund - the store can elect to repair or replace the item. As it's been six weeks you have accepted the goods and you won't be able to insist on a refund, although you should be able to get it replaced with a new item.

Does the fact that I reported the fault almost immediately and that it has taken them until now to accept the fault make the difference?

The law (Sale of Goods Act) says that you have a "reasonable" time within which to "reject" a faulty item.

After that, and I think this applies to you, the seller has to remedy your situation and that can be a repair.

Only if they delay or a repair fails can you start demanding a replacement or refund.

Does the fact that I reported the fault almost immediately and that it has taken them until now to accept the fault make the difference?

Absolutely.

Demand a refund.

......... assuming that you have proof of your report?

Some technicalities may occur.

It sounds like you just reported a fault.

In which case the seller is following the correct procedure and has to remedy the situation and if they so choose, that can be by repair within a reasonable time (although I would suggest that 4 weeks may already be stretching it).

You could have rejected it (refused acceptance) straight away. Did you do that?

If you did ... and now the fault has been proved, you are entitled to have your rejection honoured.