Old Company Sports Clubs

Just now, johnpm said:

I think it became a community facility some years ago but cant remember the name

Steel City?

On 06/01/2020 at 19:00, nikki-red said:

Steel City?

Yes - I havent lived in Sheffield since 1976 & havent seen it for some years . It was such  agreat sports club back in ESC days & its a shame to see how many of these wonderful facilities have been allowed to go

I remember my dad taking me to Hadfields sports ground which was on the left hand side on the A631 Bawtry Road heading towards Brinsworth, looking on Google it is now Rotherham Uniteds training ground. There was also Aurora sports ground on the right hand side further up.

Can anyone remember if Arthur Lee's had a sports ground and if so where it was.

On 19/04/2019 at 04:02, desy said:

Dormer tools at Jordanthorpe. Then boundary heard the club house was a state do not know what has happened to it now.

It’s a totally derelict shell of a building.

What’s not been burnt is covered in graffiti.

It looks a total eyesore.

Housing estate soon I reckon 

Hi 

I started work as an apprentice at ESC  easter 1959, on the first day the apprentice supervisor Tommy Eyre took us on a tour of the works witch ended in the canteen at no. 1gate.  He then went on to tell us all about the sports and social clubs etc ,no being a sporty person this didnt  interest me much until he said there was a gun club at Ecclesfield.  I had always wanted to try clay shooting so I made enqiries and spoke to the guy who ran the club, sorry its not a clay shoot its a rifle club he said,but come and have a look anyway we need new members.

I turned up the next Saturday morning and to my complete surprise they were shooting big 303 lee enfields  I had expected air rifles.

Now can any body remember were this rifle range was in Ecclesfield,I am afaid I have no idea.

Regards,

Brian.