Old Company Sports Clubs

Not sure about the Malin Bridge site belonging British Gas in the 60's.  Remember Brown Baileys at Olivers Mount very well. The Metro Vickers /AEI  site I think was known as Firth Vickers in the 60's and I played there a few times also. Further up Bawtry Rd on the same side was Edger Allen-Aerex and on the opposite side was Dunford Hadfields. Over the crest was Steel Peach and Tozer later BSC. 

I used to go to school at Meadowhead and remember the sports field at Jordanthorpe but never got the chance to visit there.

Also remember playing in Chapeltown, was that Newton Chambers ?

23 hours ago, Padders said:

Wild guess,  British Gas.

We played British gas and they were on Claywheels lane just before you got to Bachelors.

6 hours ago, Kidorry said:

We played British gas and they were on Claywheels lane just before you got to Bachelors.

The gas company's football pitch on Claywheels Lane was actually on British Acheson (later Union Carbide) property, their own being on Grange Mill Lane. Wincobank/Blackburn, Also on Claywheels Lane was the Hope and Anchor brewery football/cricket pitches,

Dormer tools at Jordanthorpe. Then boundary heard the club house was a state do not know what has happened to it now.

Jubilee Sports on Claywheels Lane,got a crate of beer in the changing room.

Malin bridge ground was Samuel Osborn's until they closed around 1970.  I played for them from 1965 for 4 years in County Senior league. Gas board bought it later. Club house now been demolished and Lidl trying for planning permission. 

Pete Fisher

Once played at the transport ground at meadowhead match should have not been played the ground was that dry there were cracks all over about 2" ich plus wide

Laycocks Sports Centre, with its bowling green still on the go...but  Laycocks itself is no more...

Malins ridge was Sam  osborn I used to play netball for them in the 60's

Balfour's and later Balfour Darwin's was on Hathersage Road on the left just past Whirlow. There used to be football, cricket, tennis, bowls, golf and netball if my memory is correct, and a good club house!

I think it now belongs to HSBC.

Who owns/uses the old E.S.C. sports ground on Shiregreen Lane, did Forgemaster's inherit it ?

I think it became a community facility some years ago but cant remember the name