Old Company Sports Clubs

I started work at Davy United in the mid 60's and played football for them at various levels till the early 70's. Davy United had a sports club on Prince of Wales Road which still exists. who does it now belong to as Davy United are long gone. 

I played at lots of company sports clubs around Sheffield. Lots of the companies, like Davy United, no longer exist. What happened to all those sports grounds and club houses? I remember a good few were on Bawtry Road. How many still exist and where are they?

Can't do much checking for myself as I have been in Canada since 1980. Don't have any family left in the area either.

Edited by nikki-red

English Steel Corp had a wonderful sports ground on Shiregreen Lane. Cricket, football about 5 tennis courts including one grass & great clubhouse.  I played tennis a couple of t imes a weeek there in  1960's. Also has interdepartmental indoor games n ight every year.

1 hour ago, johnpm said:

English Steel Corp had a wonderful sports ground on Shiregreen Lane. Cricket, football about 5 tennis courts including one grass & great clubhouse.  I played tennis a couple of t imes a weeek there in  1960's. Also has interdepartmental indoor games n ight every year.

Correct John, played football there a few times for Atlas and Norfolk, always a good crowd, and pie and pea supper afterwards..

And don"t forget the summer gala, what a day out that was, good old fashion stalls, happy days.

I remember playing Football and cricket on the Atlas and Norfolk fields. Couldn't remember that our opponent those times was English Steel, still that was a long time ago. When I was a kid my dad had an allotment in Roe Wood just behind the sports ground. Has that area been built on by now? Remember looking in at the summer gala on a visit to the allotment. 

1 hour ago, HIBBSY said:

I remember playing Football and cricket on the Atlas and Norfolk fields. Couldn't remember that our opponent those times was English Steel, still that was a long time ago. When I was a kid my dad had an allotment in Roe Wood just behind the sports ground. Has that area been built on by now? Remember looking in at the summer gala on a visit to the allotment. 

The Atlas and Norfolk facility belonged to Firth-Brown's.

Brown Bailey's had a large ground at Oliver's Mount Handsworth , several football pitches an excellent cricket pitch and Crown green bowling. It's noe home to Handsworth Paramors FC

I remember playing at a sports ground at Malin Bridge. Anyone know who that belonged to ?

7 hours ago, HIBBSY said:

I remember playing at a sports ground at Malin Bridge. Anyone know who that belonged to ?

Wild guess,  British Gas.

Hi Hibbsy,played for Handsworth St Josephs cricket team originally in High Hazels park but then moved to Dormer Tools ground at Jordanthorpe,which later became Boundary Club and then moved to Davys ground Prince of Wales Rd.

Metro Vickers/AEI had a sports club on Bawtry Road

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 21:03, Firparnian said:

Brown Bailey's had a large ground at Oliver's Mount Handsworth , several football pitches an excellent cricket pitch and Crown green bowling. It's noe home to Handsworth Paramors FC

I remember helping to fit a floodlight at Brown Bayleys football pitch in 1963 and we played on it for years.