Is gender inequality in sentencing ok?

nikki-red

Numerous posts have been removed from this thread.

If you cant have a discussion without resorting to insults and personal comments then please dont post at all.

Message added by nikki-red

14 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

We're 8 pages in so the foreplay can end and come to a pleasurable conclusion of you revealing your reasoning.

The thrust of the debate is: in the context of a society where gender discrimination is illegal and all persons are equal in the eyes of the law, how can a judge reportedly say that if the defendant were a man, she'd be going to prison?

OK, I've read the piece now and it doesn't say, in my interpretation that she's avoided  a custodial sentence.

Debate is to influence and change opinions, what it isn't is a quick exchange of views.

Edited by Bash Street

13 minutes ago, Bash Street said:

OK, I've read the piece now and it doesn't say, in my interpretation that she's avoided  a custodial sentence.

Debate is to influence and change opinions, what it isn't is a quick exchange of views.

The BBC quotes the (female) judge as reportedly saying that if the defendant "was a man, there is no question it would have been straight down the stairs, because this is a shocking case of dangerous driving against a background oftwo previous convictions for excess alcohol."

The clear implication being that because she's not a man, she's got an extra chance. 

The thrust of the debate is: in the context of a society where gender discrimination is illegal and all persons are equal in the eyes of the law, how can a judge reportedly say that if the defendant were a man, she'd be going to prison?

5 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Are you sure?

13 minutes ago, Bash Street said:

Are you sure?

Do you think Toots should get Slippered by the teacher if she did the same naughty thing as Plug, or should she be let off because she's a girl?

Edited by Yeah but

6 minutes ago, Yeah but said:

Do you think Toots should get Slippered by the teacher if she did the same naughty thing as Plug, or should she be let off because she's a girl?

That Plug was just one bad <deleted>.😀

26 minutes ago, Bash Street said:

Are you sure?

Yes. So why not answer the question and provide reasoned logic?

1 minute ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Please indulge me, what are you sure about?

7 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

There wasn't a question in the OP, it was an invitation to discuss, which I am trying to do. 

8 minutes ago, Bash Street said:

Please indulge me, what are you sure about?

I'm sure about what the thrust of the debate is (which, I presume, is what you were asking me if I was sure about, given you quoted that).

The thrust of the debate is: in the context of a society where gender discrimination is illegal and all persons are equal in the eyes of the law, how can a judge reportedly say that if the defendant were a man, she'd be going to prison?

2 minutes ago, Bash Street said:

There wasn't a question in the OP, it was an invitation to discuss, which I am trying to do. 

I keep asking you the question:

The thrust of the debate is: in the context of a society where gender discrimination is illegal and all persons are equal in the eyes of the law, how can a judge reportedly say that if the defendant were a man, she'd be going to prison?

2 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

I'm sure about what the thrust of the debate is (which, I presume, is what you were asking me if I was sure about, given you quoted that).

I keep asking you the question:

Well, to be fair, you'd have to ask the judge that. I'm speaking and debating generally and I think I've made my opinion crystal clear, but what is your opinion? You like to criticise but you've offered little to the debate, which is ongoing and yet to conclude.

13 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

That wasn't in the OP, I am discussing the OP not this other question which has suddenly arisen, maybe you should start a new thread if you want that answering, I don't really want to comment on the individual case.

7 minutes ago, Bash Street said:

Well, to be fair, you'd have to ask the judge that. I'm speaking and debating generally and I think I've made my opinion crystal clear, but what is your opinion? You like to criticise but you've offered little to the debate, which is ongoing and yet to conclude.

I'm speaking generally too. The specific case was a trigger to asking the question, but the question is a general one.

In a society where gender discrimination is illegal and where everyone is supposed to be treated equally in the eyes of the law, is it ok for women to get lighter sentencing for committing the same crime?

Your answer is "yes", but what isn't "crystal clear" is why. Why do you think that?

My answer is "no" and my reasoning is because the outcome of the same crime is the same, and therefore the sentencing should be the same too, regardless of gender. That's in addition to the contextual background of a society where gender discrimination is illegal and where everyone is supposed to be treated equally in the eyes of the law.

You are entitled to disagree and have your own opinion but what is frustrating is that you won't explain your reasoning beyond meaningless one liners and cryptic responses.