Is gender inequality in sentencing ok?

nikki-red

Numerous posts have been removed from this thread.

If you cant have a discussion without resorting to insults and personal comments then please dont post at all.

Message added by nikki-red

You read it again.  I converted the difference into a percentage to make it comparable.

16 minutes ago, Bash Street said:

I do have a justification which will become clear, I need probably 2/3 more pages of comments and responses to determine how posters on here view certain sub topics in the main discussion. At the end I will post a comprehensive answer on how I've come to my conclusion but all you want to do is get any one who disagrees with your agenda into a position where you can ridicule and bully.  As previously stated I am not trolling.

If you would like me to withdraw from the discussion then I will do.

You were asked on page 1 to explain your stance, you can't, you won't.  You're a troll.

On 17/04/2019 at 20:20, WiseOwl182 said:

Just answer why you think men and women should be treated differently for sentencing

On 17/04/2019 at 20:32, Bash Street said:

I already have.

Now you are admitting that you haven't, and that you won't for "several more pages".  Well, enjoy those pages on your own.  I think we've shown that you have no basis or explanation for the opinion.  It appears to be a anachronistic thought pattern that you've dragged forward from the 1950's or something.

Edited by Cyclone

21 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Well, enjoy those pages on your own.  

Thanks, I take pride in bringing defeat to people with totalitarian agendas.

16 minutes ago, Bash Street said:

Thanks, I take pride in bringing defeat to people with totalitarian agendas.

You've not defeated anyone because you still haven't put forward any reasoning for your position yet (by your own admission it won't come for another 2 or 3 pages). Putting people off by trolling my thread is not "winning" an argument. In any case you're quite entitled to think genders should be treated differently, and vice versa, but you should explain your reasoning when debating on a public forum. If the reason is "I just do" then just admit it.

Just to add, Cyclone isn't somehow colluding with me in some kind of "totalitarian" conspiracy against you either. We usually clash on most threads, but at least we give reasoning behind our views and positions.

Edited by WiseOwl182

7 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

You've not defeated anyone because you still haven't put forward any reasoning for your position yet (by your own admission it won't come for another 2 or 3 pages). Putting people off by trolling my thread is not "winning" an argument. In any case you're quite entitled to think genders should be treated differently, and vice versa, but you should explain your reasoning when debating on a public forum. If the reason is "I just do" then just admit it.

Just to add, Cyclone isn't somehow colluding with me in some kind of "totalitarian" conspiracy against you either. We usually clash on most threads, but at least we give reasoning behind our views and positions.

Oh, you're back. Why don't you and @Cyclone keep dropping by, without posting as you've made clear you've done with the topic and over the next day or so I'll conclude the reasoning behind my opinion.

You'll have to bear with me though as we still have a few sub topics to get through.

Guest makapaka
9 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Stop accusing them of trolling because you disagree - I think theyve put forward far more reasoning then you or cyclone for their views.

youve spent pages demanding evidence for the counter argument without putting forward any justification for your own position.

2 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Stop accusing them of trolling because you disagree - I think theyve put forward far more reasoning then you or cyclone for their views.

youve spent pages demanding evidence for the counter argument without putting forward any justification for your own position.

This is true Makapaka. I know the topic is going on a bit but I do have reasoning behind my opinion which cannot be put over simply, I promise that I'll review and conclude everything tomorrow, of course that conclusion is will be my own reasoned opinion, I won't even attempt to force it on anyone and that conclusion will be my last post on the topic.

But I need to understand peoples thoughts on why we actually put people in prison.

20 hours ago, Bash Street said:

As far as custodial sentences go, there is no way locking a woman up is of any benefit to her or society as a whole.

You can see no benefit to society, by locking up, for example, a female serial killer?

14 minutes ago, Bash Street said:

This is true Makapaka. I know the topic is going on a bit but I do have reasoning behind my opinion which cannot be put over simply, I promise that I'll review and conclude everything tomorrow, of course that conclusion is will be my own reasoned opinion, I won't even attempt to force it on anyone and that conclusion will be my last post on the topic.

But I need to understand peoples thoughts on why we actually put people in prison.

OK, i'll answer this with my own views on why we lock people up, and they are personally held views which I wouldn't want to force on anyone.

1) The offender needs to be punished for what they've done wrong.

2) Society needs the opportunity to rehabilitate the offender so they can be reintroduced to society and be of some use to it instead of being a drain on it. Something we are not very good at.

3) Society needs protecting from the offender.

Retribution? Who'd want to be part of a society which purely wanted to get their own back? A tit for tat situation.

7 minutes ago, Waldo said:

You can see no benefit to society, by locking up, for example, a female serial killer?

Now you're talking about specifics Waldo and I'm talking in general. The judge would no doubt lock a serial killer up and throw away the key be they male or female.

That avatar is mesmerising by the way.

Edited by Bash Street

@Bash Street

You didn't qualify your statement though, you just said locking up a woman is of no benefit to society as a whole. Which obviously includes women who have committed any crime.

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

@Bash Street

You didn't qualify your statement though, you just said locking up a woman is of no benefit to society as a whole. Which obviously includes women who have committed any crime.

OK, point taken.

46 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

All will eventually be revealed, but I'd like to do it after contributory factors have been discussed. I've already answered the OP in as much I think that males and females should be tret differently in respect of sentencing.

What we are doing now is discussing why I think that and how I came to that conclusion.

So, why do we put people in jail?

17 minutes ago, Bash Street said:

OK, point taken.

You know, I have a different view on this topic to you Bash Street. I'm totally fine with you (or anyone else) having a difficult view to me. Once upon a time, I'd have totally gotten my knickers in a twist over someone holding an opposing view and not understanding their rational, I think in your case though (based on the first 6 pages of this thread I read though), you're not arriving at your position through a logical rationale, it's more of a gut feel kinda thing?

Anyhow....

My position (rightly or wrongly) is people are all equal, and should be afforded no special privileges because of the body they happen to inhabit. At the same time though, people do have different natures, and I think it makes a lot of sense to account for a person's nature when dealing with them.

Having said that, I'm asking myself if there is a conflict between the above two statements...

Edited by Waldo