Is gender inequality in sentencing ok?

nikki-red

Numerous posts have been removed from this thread.

If you cant have a discussion without resorting to insults and personal comments then please dont post at all.

Message added by nikki-red

17 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

You haven't given any explanation for the why to wiseowl or anyone else.

And we're all fully aware that for 16 pages you have avoided actually trying to justify your opinion.  You even said as such on page 9.

DId you say you were done on the 19th April, only to come back later to repeat yourself without every explaining your opinion?

You really should read the whole thread back through, it's all in there if you take the time, clear your head, concentrate and read.

45 minutes ago, Bash Street said:

You really should read the whole thread back through, it's all in there if you take the time, clear your head, concentrate and read.

Just scanned through the topic and it appears you are unable to give justification to your views.

3 hours ago, Bash Street said:

Done that.  You never explain your views.

You make a few non sequiturs and illogical leaps, all of which have been pointed out to you.

Either explain it again, or tell us exactly which post you explained it in.  Or we can assume that you know you haven't explained it, and this is just deliberate obfuscation.

Men and women should be treated as equals in order to achieve true equality. This means not including gender bias into sentencing.

4 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Men and women should be treated as equals in order to achieve true equality. This means not including gender bias into sentencing.

Two people, same age, one male, one female.  Same offence.  Woman is sole carer for two children under 5.  Man is single and has no dependents.

Same sentence?

8 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Two people, same age, one male, one female.  Same offence.  Woman is sole carer for two children under 5.  Man is single and has no dependents.

Same sentence?

Circumstances should be taken into account but we were discussing when all else is equal. In fact if you scroll back a few pages, it was claimed that a female without dependents should be treated with more leniency than a single father.

Guest makapaka
45 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Same sentence?

Yes. I’d argue the woman is the worst of the offenders with the level of responsibility she has and the disregard for it.

are you advocating a women with children under 5  committing prison worthy crimes getting reduced sentences because she has kids?

Here's an interesting one. Bunch of women and teenage girls, guilty of affray.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-48623126

Notwithstanding that 4 pathologists couldn't say that their actions caused this young woman's death, but you'd expect a bit of jail time - Google says they could have got 3 years. But no, not a day inside for any of them.

I doubt that a group of young men and teenage boys Would have got the same light treatment.

5 hours ago, makapaka said:

Yes. I’d argue the woman is the worst of the offenders with the level of responsibility she has and the disregard for it.

are you advocating a women with children under 5  committing prison worthy crimes getting reduced sentences because she has kids?

Yes I am.

I’ve seen lots of reports of MALE (dangerous) driving offenders recently getting light sentences due to impact of a more severe sentence on their family. Pathetic. What about the families dealing with a bereavement or life changing injury as a result of their actions? 

8 hours ago, makapaka said:

I think replace "women" with "person" and you're onto something.

Circumstances DO matter.  Gender and sex don't.

8 hours ago, makapaka said:

Absolutely. Making the kids victims is fair because?