Is gender inequality in sentencing ok?

nikki-red

Numerous posts have been removed from this thread.

If you cant have a discussion without resorting to insults and personal comments then please dont post at all.

Message added by nikki-red

Guest makapaka
1 minute ago, RootsBooster said:

Just trollin', then.

Having a different opinion to you doesn't make them a troll.

1 minute ago, RootsBooster said:

Just trollin', then.

No, I'm a bit whacked mate, was up early for a hospital appointment and I didn't get a deal of sleep last night, not trolling at all.

7 hours ago, Halibut said:

Must be your settings or something. I can see them - Bash Streets is - A man who moralises is usually a hypocrite. Oscar Wilde

I think I hid them as there is excess whitespace on the new forum layout.

Moralises, interesting word, I don't think that's what we're doing here though.  Not according to the definition I found anyway.

7 hours ago, Flanker7 said:

But should anyone , or any organisation , have the power to allow or not allow an entire gender to compete in any sporting event.

Like any event that titles its self 'Womens' or 'Ladies'.

You think that jobs and competitive sporting events are comparable?  Or you're just trying to derail the conversation?

4 hours ago, makapaka said:

Having a different opinion to you doesn't make them a troll.

Refusing to give evidence does though.

4 hours ago, Bash Street said:

No, I'm a bit whacked mate, was up early for a hospital appointment and I didn't get a deal of sleep last night, not trolling at all.

Did you see any female doctors or male nurses?  Refuse treatment from them on the grounds that they're in the other genders job?

24 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Did you see any female doctors or male nurses?  Refuse treatment from them on the grounds that they're in the other genders job?

Where have I said anything to make you think I'm like that. You need to have a word with yourself, you're obviously hurting about something and it will only eat away at you if you let it.

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

You think that jobs and competitive sporting events are comparable?  Or you're just trying to derail the conversation?

The thread had moved on. Jobs wasn't where this one started, it was judges  comments and drunken driving.

Or you're  just trying to avoid commenting on my point?

Don't bother it was a rhetorical question.  As its plainly obvious that women and men can't  compete  on an even footing at most sports.

11 minutes ago, Flanker7 said:

The thread had moved on. Jobs wasn't where this one started, it was judges  comments and drunken driving.

Don't bother it was a rhetorical question.  As its plainly obvious that women and men can't  compete  on an even footing at most sports.

Maybe but that's a whole other debate. This thread is about whether one gender should get preferential treatment over the other with respect to criminal sentencing.

Bash Street thinks women should get preferential treatment because they are "fairer" and "it's the way of the world", so presumably regards it as worse for a man to drink and drive than for a woman, despite the potential outcomes being the same (if anything, men should get preferential treatment with drink driving since male bodies process alcohol differently and therefore there could be different male/female limits).

12 hours ago, Flanker7 said:

I'm definitely going to avoid commenting on your entirely not comparable point as it's entirely not comparable or relevant.

14 hours ago, Bash Street said:

Where have I said anything to make you think I'm like that. You need to have a word with yourself, you're obviously hurting about something and it will only eat away at you if you let it.

You didn't answer the question I notice.  Good effort at deflection.

How you doing with actually justifying your opinion.  You're keen to post links that show how a bias exists (the entire reason we're discussing it), but have so far come up with no reason that a bias SHOULD exist.

Why should biological sex affect the duration of a sentence for a crime you've been found guilty of?  Objectively.

Guest makapaka
4 hours ago, Cyclone said:

I'm definitely going to avoid commenting on your entirely not comparable point as it's entirely not comparable or relevant.

How you doing with actually justifying your opinion.  You're keen to post links that show how a bias exists (the entire reason we're discussing it), but have so far come up with no reason that a bias SHOULD exist.

Why should biological sex affect the duration of a sentence for a crime you've been found guilty of?  Objectively.

It shouldn't that's clear.

I don't see why people are pretending we don't treat each other slightly differently due to sex though - its clear we do that.

It doesn't mean people have to be treated any less fairly.

Edited by makapaka

9 hours ago, Cyclone said:

4 hours ago, makapaka said:

It shouldn't that's clear.

I don't see why people are pretending we don't treat each other slightly differently due to sex though - its clear we do that.

It doesn't mean people have to be treated any less fairly.

@Cyclone Try and stop stamping your feet up and down, settle down will you. You may wish to correct what I'm about to say but hey ho.

My argument was that traditionally we cut women more slack than men hence the links to the Old Bailey website. Now I don't know whether you read it or not but historically women are viewed differently to men, in fact, at one time if a Husband and Wife committed a crime together the law would be sympathetic to the Wife as they viewed it as taking instruction from her Husband, this is how it's been for many years and appears still to be the case. Certainly the link to the USA still shows women are treat differently to men in as much they get lighter sentences.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I have seen many occasions where a gang of 4/5 people with one woman in the gang finishes up with the woman coming away with a lighter sentence.

So, if this is the case, and you accept this, then you'd like to know why I suppose, well I can't answer that in respect of why it is, but your next question will be why do I think it should be, or isn't it?

@makapaka I think you are correct, and women are treat differently to men, here's a bit of interesting reading,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equality_before_the_law

It mentions a state of affairs again in the US, where health benefits were bestowed on the wives of US service men but wasn't allowed the other way round but I think I may be drifting a little off topic.

I can't agree that everyone should be treat the same all the time in the eyes of the law, I think that the judge needs to determine that, and when he favours a women over a man, then in most cases I'd probably agree with the Judge (obviously dependant on individual scenarios).