Is gender inequality in sentencing ok?

nikki-red

Numerous posts have been removed from this thread.

If you cant have a discussion without resorting to insults and personal comments then please dont post at all.

Message added by nikki-red

4 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

No, I don't think any households think those things are okay today.  Which is evidence that societal norms can change.

Then I can only assume you led a very sheltered life.

17 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

This demonstrates what is, not what should be. 

And there we have it, in your own words.

2 hours ago, Bash Street said:

Should women be allowed to do traditionally male jobs, like construction or armed forces, for example?

19 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Should women be allowed to do traditionally male jobs, like construction or armed forces, for example?

If based on capabilities then yes, of course they should. If you mean to get the numbers up to appease the equalities lobby then no, they shouldn't.

What about sport for instance, I love watching sport, just having a lazy day watching the US Masters. Now if there was a woman capable of winning that then she should be allowed to compete, but there isn't anyone.

Love watching football as well, that is the men's game, can't watch women playing as it's like watching the game in slow motion.

I do like watching women's volleyball though and not the men's game. That's strange isn't it.

Don't mind watching ladies golf as well.

7 hours ago, Bash Street said:

Then I can only assume you led a very sheltered life.

You think that there are people who consider slavery to be acceptable and that a husband cannot legally rape his wife (well, this last one isn't a moral position, it's a factual one and we know full well that anyone who asserts that is simply wrong)?

Perhaps this says more about your life than mine.

7 hours ago, Bash Street said:

There we have what.  I'm not sure you entirely grasp the point of this discussion.

4 hours ago, Bash Street said:

If based on capabilities then yes, of course they should. If you mean to get the numbers up to appease the equalities lobby then no, they shouldn't.

See, I think you've got it all backwards.

The question was "should they be allowed"...  The answer is that that shouldn't even be a question.  Either people should be allowed or they shouldn't.  Any capability based testing would then obviously be acceptable to be applied to all those people.

But nobody should have the power to allow or not allow an entire gender to do a job.

41 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

You think that there are people who consider slavery to be acceptable and that a husband cannot legally rape his wife (well, this last one isn't a moral position, it's a factual one and we know full well that anyone who asserts that is simply wrong)?

Perhaps this says more about your life than mine.

There we have what.  I'm not sure you entirely grasp the point of this discussion.

See, I think you've got it all backwards.

The question was "should they be allowed"...  The answer is that that shouldn't even be a question.  Either people should be allowed or they shouldn't.  Any capability based testing would then obviously be acceptable to be applied to all those people.

But nobody should have the power to allow or not allow an entire gender to do a job.

Take a look at my sig.😀

You don't have a signature.

Nobody appears to have one.

Must be your settings or something. I can see them - Bash Streets is - A man who moralises is usually a hypocrite. Oscar Wilde

13 hours ago, Cyclone said:

............But nobody should have the power to allow or not allow an entire gender to do a job.

But should anyone , or any organisation , have the power to allow or not allow an entire gender to compete in any sporting event.

Like any event that titles its self 'Womens' or 'Ladies'.

On 13/04/2019 at 23:54, Bash Street said:

It's the way of the world, always has been, certainly the judge in the case was thinking along the same lines as me.

If it's the way of the world there will surely be an abundance of similar examples then. Can you provide some?

1 hour ago, RootsBooster said:

If it's the way of the world there will surely be an abundance of similar examples then. Can you provide some?

Can't be bothered to be honest.

33 minutes ago, Bash Street said:

Can't be bothered to be honest.

Just trollin', then.

Edited by RootsBooster