Is gender inequality in sentencing ok?

nikki-red

Numerous posts have been removed from this thread.

If you cant have a discussion without resorting to insults and personal comments then please dont post at all.

Message added by nikki-red

1 hour ago, Bash Street said:

It may be in your mind but in mine it's just how it is.

Treating individuals differently solely on the basis of gender is sexist by definition, not just in my mind.

46 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Treating individuals differently solely on the basis of gender is sexist by definition, not just in my mind.

You are entitled to your opinion. As far as I'm concerned I will always cut a female more slack than I would a male, it is the way of the world. Oh don't worry, I understand a lot of people want to deny this, it's just I'm not one of them. Was always softer on my Mam than my Dad, my Sister than my Brother and my Daughter than my Son, it's just how it is.

24 minutes ago, Bash Street said:

You are entitled to your opinion. As far as I'm concerned I will always cut a female more slack than I would a male, it is the way of the world. Oh don't worry, I understand a lot of people want to deny this, it's just I'm not one of them. Was always softer on my Mam than my Dad, my Sister than my Brother and my Daughter than my Son, it's just how it is.

Do you have any reasoning behind this?

(Your extremely gender-symmetrical family lineage didn't go unnoticed, by the way)

Edited by RootsBooster
Missed a comma

30 minutes ago, RootsBooster said:

Do you have any reasoning behind this?

(Your extremely gender-symmetrical family lineage didn't go unnoticed, by the way)

It's the way of the world, always has been, certainly the judge in the case was thinking along the same lines as me.

13 hours ago, Bash Street said:

Genuine belief, the fairer sex should be cut more slack.

On what basis?

11 hours ago, Bash Street said:

It may be in your mind but in mine it's just how it is.

Different treatment based on gender, quite clearly the definition of sexist.

8 hours ago, Bash Street said:

It's the way of the world, always has been, certainly the judge in the case was thinking along the same lines as me.

So you can't explain why it should be, rather you just keep repeating that it is.

10 hours ago, Bash Street said:

It's the way of the world, always has been, 

They used to say the same about slavery and a mans 'right' to rape his wife too.

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

On what basis?

Different treatment based on gender, quite clearly the definition of sexist.

So you can't explain why it should be, rather you just keep repeating that it is.

Of course I can explain, it's natural, it's in how we are made up.

43 minutes ago, Halibut said:

They used to say the same about slavery and a mans 'right' to rape his wife too.

Who used to say? Certainly not me if that's what your inferring.

Did you imagine "it's natural" was an explanation?  Is there a moral justification that you can actually explain for why men and women should be treated differently when sentencing for crimes?

"They" being society at the time I expect.  How could "they" ever infer "you", it's like, the opposite.

Edited by Cyclone

The sentence should be reviewed, it was her third  drink related offence, and the judge should be sacked,  I read this story the other day and a lot of the people who commented were women, and they were not happy with the judges comments. 

Edited by iansheff

30 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Did you imagine "it's natural" was an explanation?  Is there a moral justification that you can actually explain for why men and women should be treated differently when sentencing for crimes?

"They" being society at the time I expect.  How could "they" ever infer "you", it's like, the opposite.

Yes, it's natural is an explanation, if you don't understand that then I can't help you.

"They" being society at the time I expect? Do you think it is not the case now in some households?

42 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Have a read of this and the come back and explain your point of view.

http://www.parity-uk.org/Briefing/MenandWomenandtheCJSfComplete.pdf

Looking at the figures I don't think women are holding their end up.

Yes, it's natural is an explanation, if you don't understand that then I can't help you.

"They" being society at the time I expect? Do you think it is not the case now in some households?

It's not an explanation, it's just an opinion.  It provides no evidence that it's true for a start, and even if it were true that's not an argument that it's correct.

Do I think that in some households today they think that slavery is acceptable and that men are legally okay to force their wife into sex.  No, I don't think any households think those things are okay today.  Which is evidence that societal norms can change.

Have a read of this and the come back and explain your point of view.

http://www.parity-uk.org/Briefing/MenandWomenandtheCJSfComplete.pdf

Looking at the figures I don't think women are holding their end up.

This demonstrates what is, not what should be.  So why should that impact my opinion?