SINGLE OAP PENSION

Sorry posted on wrong thread

Edited by jaffa1

20 hours ago, spilldig said:

I have looked at another one which also says similar to that one.

Have you looked at the underlying OECD report on pensions from which the author was drawing statistics, because it tells a very different story, I posted a few extracts didn't I in post #53, you should read it.  It's fascinating, although nowhere does it mention Croatia.

20 hours ago, Robin-H said:

Out of interest, what was the source for that one? 

A C Consultancy one does put Denmark at number one.

Edited by spilldig

This bit of pension legislation has been slipped out under the wire when no one was looking...

Apparently, people in a relationship where one partner is under pension age, but the other partner is receiving a pension, and should also be entitled to pension credit, can no longer claim the pension credit, until the younger partner reaches pensionable age. 

Instead they can try to get Universal credit (good luck with that,) to make up the difference, but the amount is less than half what they would have received on pension credit.

21 hours ago, Anna B said:

This bit of pension legislation has been slipped out under the wire when no one was looking...

Hardly.  It was planned in 2011.  Reported in December 2018 that it would be implemented in 2019.

If you want to blame anyone, you can blame the media for focusing on nothing but Brexit for it failing to make the news headlines.  Although many newspapers DID mention it.

Reported briefly and then implemented recently, it still seems wrong doesn't it?

My retirement date is 6th May and, a single adult, I’ll receive £184.64 per week but this includes approx £20 SERPS. Hopefully they’ll stop taxing me on the small NHS pension I had to take when I was 60

7 hours ago, catmiss said:

My retirement date is 6th May and, a single adult, I’ll receive £184.64 per week but this includes approx £20 SERPS. Hopefully they’ll stop taxing me on the small NHS pension I had to take when I was 60

You are taxed on all income, this includes pay for work, State, SERPS and NHS pensions, savings interest etc.

You will start paying income tax on any income above £1250.£12500

Being married or single makes no difference  to new retirees, except when a couple can transfer their unused tax allowance if one earns more than £1250   £12500 and the other less.

Edited by Annie Bynnol
Correcting error

That's £12,500/annum.

13 hours ago, catmiss said:

Unfortunately, you'll probably find that you will be taxed more on the NHS pension once your State Pension kicks in. The reason being the state finds it easier to pay you your Pension tax free and use your private pension provider to work out and deduct your whole tax.