SINGLE OAP PENSION

16 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

Pensioners should not be totally reliant on the state for providing for them in retirement. 

You reap what you sow. So if you plan for the minimum, do you really deserve more?

Some people are not in the fortunate position to plan , even for the minimum

23 hours ago, spilldig said:

So, on that basis, a working person who is single would  receive less pay than a working person with a family ?  Any working person who is fortunate enough to own their property should receive less pay for the same job as a co-worker who rents their property ?  As for free bus passes, with strings attached , the government should hang their heads in shame for treating elderly people like second class citizens rather than paying a state pension commensurate  with a civilized  country.

I've no idea how you managed to come to those conclusions from what I said.

Why don't you take a look at how much of government expenditure is on pension payments and then consider whether bankrupting the country would be worth it to achieve what you want.

55 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Which is why a social safety net exists.  It's supposed to be a safety net, not provide a retirement of living the life of riley.

4 hours ago, Cyclone said:

I've no idea how you managed to come to those conclusions from what I said.

Why don't you take a look at how much of government expenditure is on pension payments and then consider whether bankrupting the country would be worth it to achieve what you want.

Which is why a social safety net exists.  It's supposed to be a safety net, not provide a retirement of living the life of riley.

In post number 33 . 

Still don't know how you came to those conclusions.

But why don't you take a look at how much of government expenditure is on pension payments 

Edited by Cyclone

22 hours ago, hackey lad said:

The government cannot afford to give out handouts on the scale you propose. It is no where near close to being able to afford it. 

People need to take more responsibility for their financial planning especially in terms of retirement. 

46 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

The government cannot afford to give out handouts on the scale you propose. It is no where near close to being able to afford it. 

People need to take more responsibility for their financial planning especially in terms of retirement. 

What ,exactly am I proposing ?

5 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Still don't know how you came to those conclusions.

But why don't you take a look at how much of government expenditure is on pension payments 

That's the way I interpreted it, but anyway let's have a look about this business of bankrupting the country. Well perhaps if they had thier priorities right.  Croatia give 129% of earnings, so if the same was applied here every pensioner would get £33,862 per year.       The Netherlands and Turkey are  ext at over 100%, then India, Portugal,Italy Austria,Argentina , Hungary, Bulgaria,luxombourg, Slovakia,China, Cyprus, Spain,Denmark,Brazil,Iceland,Israel,France,Lithuania,European u,nion 28 countries,Belgium,Indonesia Saudi Arabia,Finland.Oecd, Czech Republic,LatviaEstonia,Slovenia , Sweden,Greece Canada,Rumania,Germany,USA,Norway Korea,Switzerland,New zealand,Australia,Ireland,Malta,Chile,Japan,Russia,Poland Mexico, and then, in a disgusting 49th place comes the UK on 29%. As i say, the government should be ashamed.

Okay, now that you've listed some random statistics, tell us how much of government income already goes on pensions and how much that would be if it was increased to the amount you've proposed.

As a woman in my 70s, I get nothing for the years I looked after my children, there were no credits back in those days.  I also worked in part time, low paid employment for several years, and paid 'the married woman's stamp'/reduced contributions.  Nothing for those years either.  My state pension is around £80.   I worked full time from 16-23 , then again from my early 30s until  I was fortunate to get a state pension at 60.  Around 33 years of contributions, but I was also contracted out for part of the time.  My occupational pensions (which amount to nothing near 40 years in a final salary scheme) preclude me from any add-ons, and of course as part of a couple, our pensions are assessed together.

The new scheme rewards those with small extra pensions, the old one, because of Pension Credit, penalised those savers.

8 hours ago, Ms Macbeth said:

As a woman in my 70s, I get nothing for the years I looked after my children, there were no credits back in those days.  I also worked in part time, low paid employment for several years, and paid 'the married woman's stamp'/reduced contributions.  Nothing for those years either.  My state pension is around £80.   I worked full time from 16-23 , then again from my early 30s until  I was fortunate to get a state pension at 60.  Around 33 years of contributions, but I was also contracted out for part of the time.  My occupational pensions (which amount to nothing near 40 years in a final salary scheme) preclude me from any add-ons, and of course as part of a couple, our pensions are assessed together.

The new scheme rewards those with small extra pensions, the old one, because of Pension Credit, penalised those savers.

I have no idea what you are talking about.  When you mean the new scheme, I am assuming the current scheme.  It can actually work out.  I have over a decade's worth of contributions in a final salary scheme that is deferred until I retire.  My current employee scheme contributes the equivalent of 18% (which is still relatively low compared to something like a final salary scheme) of my gross salary into a pension scheme.  I have been prudent in having various investments since I started working so I have built up a regular income outside of work which will contribute to my pension income.  My wife claims child benefit, so she gets 12 years of NI for free effectively.  We should both max out our NI requirements (I have 19 years contributed so far, so need another 16 years from 30 years of work lol).  Total pension income when we retire in today's money will be about £40k. This is not the same as the income I get from working, but then again I shouldn't have outgoings like a mortgage to service.

It is not all doom and gloom.  You lot need far better financial planning.

Edited by ez8004

11 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

I have no idea what you are talking about.  When you mean the new scheme, I am assuming the current scheme.  It can actually work out.  I have over a decade's worth of contributions in a final salary scheme that is deferred until I retire.  My current employee scheme contributes the equivalent of 18% (which is still relatively low compared to something like a final salary scheme) of my gross salary into a pension scheme.  I have been prudent in having various investments since I started working so I have built up a regular income outside of work which will contribute to my pension income.  My wife claims child benefit, so she gets 12 years of NI for free effectively.  We should both max out our NI requirements (I have 19 years contributed so far, so need another 16 years from 30 years of work lol).  Total pension income when we retire in today's money will be about £40k. This is not the same as the income I get from working, but then again I shouldn't have outgoings like a mortgage to service.

It is not all doom and gloom.  You lot need far better financial planning.

Any chance of an answer to post 43