SINGLE OAP PENSION

IS IT STILL 120 POUNDS AWEEK

I'll be receiving 144 £ weekly from May 6th. I worked from 1971-2016.  I also have an occupational pension.

The standard single pension is £168.50 a week. 

11 hours ago, bendix said:

The standard single pension is £168.50 a week. 

But is that what people actually get? I've never met anyone who gets the full amount.

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

But is that what people actually get? I've never met anyone who gets the full amount.

What people get back is entirely dependant on what people put into the system.

Someone who has in been longstanding employment paying in full NI contributions up to the 35 year maximum required will quite rightly get the full pension amount upon retirement.

Someone who has drifted in and out of jobs or taken time off or worked reduced hours leading to them only accumulating a smaller amount of NI contributions or smaller number of years will quite rightly receive a lesser amount of pension upon retirement.

Unless you have details of the entire national insurance records for your contacts its going to be impossible to explain why you dont know anyone who gets the full amount.   Maybe its best to ask them.

I get £687.32 every 4 weeks. Worked from 1968 to present.

8 hours ago, Anna B said:

The full amount of £168.50 is only available to those who:

are of pensionable age from April 2016 i.e. currently below 70

and

have full NI class one contributions for 35 years

and

have not 'contracted out' i.e. have never been a teacher, NHS worker, BSC steelworker, NCB miner, council worker, government worker, soldier, firefighter etc. (Check they have counted your contracted in service first if you have 35years+ contributions.)

People over 70 will be on the old system but can get an Additional Pension if eligible.

Everyone else will be on a sliding scale- use the link provided by Mike10.

Also, the NI records are can be inaccurate, for example for students who worked or signed on during vac., or maternity leave, temporary jobs, or jury service etc.

Women in particular need to know if they, or husband for them, paid the full Class 1 National Insurance particularly if either or both were self employed or if widowed.

It is taxable.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

6 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

What people get back is entirely dependant on what people put into the system.

Someone who has in been longstanding employment paying in full NI contributions up to the 35 year maximum required will quite rightly get the full pension amount upon retirement.

Someone who has drifted in and out of jobs or taken time off or worked reduced hours leading to them only accumulating a smaller amount of NI contributions or smaller number of years will quite rightly receive a lesser amount of pension upon retirement.

Unless you have details of the entire national insurance records for your contacts its going to be impossible to explain why you dont know anyone who gets the full amount.   Maybe its best to ask them.

HMRC are terrible at keeping records though.  Despite my Mum having worked for a single employer (NHS) throughout her life, they'd managed to fail to record NI contributions for about a decade, took quite a lot of arguing before it got sorted out.

10 hours ago, Anna B said:

I get £192  per week

Never understood the terminology re contracted in/out, SERPS, second pension etc. I worked all my life and I was in the forces for a long time so presumably contracted out for that period. 

My state pension from 6thApril 19 is £206-17per week. Obviously I’ve never asked the pension people if this is correct!

14 minutes ago, mad-dad said:

I get £192  per week

I get,  £180-87p.