is everywhere in kelham island card only

9 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Surely the individual traders turnover is private and there is no way that the landlord can access that information unless they hand it over.

Traders might be on a 'tenancy' agreement under which rent is based on turnover, in which case they have agreed to hand turnover info over. 

2 hours ago, lil-minx92 said:

Traders might be on a 'tenancy' agreement under which rent is based on turnover, in which case they have agreed to hand turnover info over. 

Possibly, but I doubt that it entitles the landlord to inspect their account directly, so they're still reliant on that information being handed over honestly.

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

Possibly, but I doubt that it entitles the landlord to inspect their account directly, so they're still reliant on that information being handed over honestly.

Turnover agreements are fairly common in retail- audited accounts are handed over to the landlord, but tenants are usually big businesses not interested in ripping the landlord off.

At the Cutlery Works I imagine the whole payment system belongs to the landlord, and they will have full knowledge of every card transaction going through it and which vendor its attributable to.

Of course all this is speculation..they might just think its modern and funky to ban cash or saves a lot of tenants a lot of cash management issues.

There must be a reason for it, even so shallow a one as "modern and funky", so perhaps it is to do with the rent as you suggest.

I spoke to one of the bar staff about it a month ago, but mostly to tell the story of a bar in Manchester where you can pay by bitcoin, although I've never seen anyone do so.

Card only will continue to grow. Quite apart from being a lot less hassle (with contactless roles have completely reversed, now it's people paying by cash that slow the queue down), insurance is often considerably cheaper if there's no cash on site.

Only real problem is if network goes down...

Craft and dough,  card only!!

3 minutes ago, zaci said:

Craft and dough,  card only!!

Or you can pay via their app. 

Card only is great when it works properly. If you get overcharged though, it can be a while before you notice.

I recently bought a pint at the cash only Hillsborough stadium. I think I checked the display on the machine,  but I couldn't swear that I did.

I was billed £28 for one pint, which is even too pricy for Sheffield Wednesday. The club were great and sorted it out without any fuss. I'm not so sure that it would be so easy dealing with Kommune, or Cutlery Works.

These days, I check the machine very carefully before tapping and I always ask for a receipt.