is everywhere in kelham island card only

bit annoyed re a number of places in kelham island going card payments only - heaven help them when the card machines or links to banks/visa/mastercard go down - anyone know of places that still take good old cash down there?

The Gardeners used to only take cash but I'm not sure if that's changed.

Both the Fat Cat and Kelham Island Tavern took cash when I was in 5 weeks ago.

Guest makapaka
12 hours ago, creweblade said:

bit annoyed re a number of places in kelham island going card payments only - heaven help them when the card machines or links to banks/visa/mastercard go down - anyone know of places that still take good old cash down there?

Think everywhere does except the new cutlery works which is card only.

16 hours ago, creweblade said:

The only place I know of that is card only is the new Cutlery works.  Everywhere else takes cash.

Because it isnt like spending money. You used to go out with £20then go home when you had run out of cash. With a card, you need so much self control,  which is harder after a few drinks!l

I prefer paying by card because you've got a record on your bank statement of where you've spent the money.  I use my bank's app and you can see it straightaway.  If you use cash it's all too easy to get home without any money and wonder where it all went.

22 hours ago, smithy266 said:

Because it isnt like spending money. You used to go out with £20then go home when you had run out of cash. With a card, you need so much self control,  which is harder after a few drinks!l

Heard it all

On 15/04/2019 at 09:10, Easy livin said:

Card only stops the bars being ripped off by staff pocketing notes 

I dont think this is why Cutlery Works is card only (or anywhere TBH). 

The owners of Cutlery Works probably want to keep an accurate track of how much the individual traders make so they can charge rent accordingly.  If they took cash, inevitably some traders wouldn't declare a chunk of it.

no issue at all paying by card - infact contactless is good for me on many occasions - what i object to is not having the choice what method i can pay with - still i suppose i do have a choice - just dont go to places that are card only - tbh gardeners rest pub next door has far better beer than cutlery works and is half the price! 

20 hours ago, lil-minx92 said:

I dont think this is why Cutlery Works is card only (or anywhere TBH). 

The owners of Cutlery Works probably want to keep an accurate track of how much the individual traders make so they can charge rent accordingly.  If they took cash, inevitably some traders wouldn't declare a chunk of it.

Surely the individual traders turnover is private and there is no way that the landlord can access that information unless they hand it over.