Anyone using a courier instead of Royal mail?

I have some stuff that I want to get around to putting on  E   Bay. Some items like a boat rod are too long even in sections. Some items are a bit heavy, one is exceeding heavy. Some items are light.

Do any courier firms cater for the occasional sender of parcels-say just 2 items per week as an estimate, as I don`t want to get bogged down with this. If anyone can recommend a company I would appreciate it.

Thanks

DPD local online will do stuff up to a metre and collect it, without the need for an account.  If it's over 1m or one parcel (not the whole consignment) is over 25kg it has to go as freight and it won't be cheap.

And alot of the big courier companies are insisting that everything has to be in a cardboard box. TNT used to be OK for sending longer parcels like fishing rods but I think they've been bought out by FedEx. Parcel monkey may give a choice of courier companies but I haven't used them.

Thanks for that Tin Foil.

I have just had a look online at parcel force and their max length is 2.5mt long max  and weight limited to only 30 kg.  OK for rods.

Interesting to hear about the cardboard box rule. The  6 ton lever hoist I have  probably weighs 60 to 80 kg and would need a very strong cardboard box to prevent it going through the bottom  🙈      :D  . When I lifted it up to hook on to a joist in the garage to test it, it felt very heavy and I did not have the weight of the  long heavy chain as that was trailing along the floor. Was thinking of putting it in an old suitcase with a couple of trouser belts around the case to ensure it doesn`t burst out. When it was delivered by courier 2 middle aged guys struggled to my front door with it :hihi:

I thought I had read on here a while back that  Hermese was good??

Edited by Janus

i recently bought a load of old zx spectrum games off a seller who sells loads, he says once the parcel gets to a certain weight sending by courier is the cheapest option, my postage was about £7 but via royal mail it wouldve been £14, he sent via Hermes

this is his message to me

Once the weight goes over 2kgs it's always cheaper to send via courier. Royal mail would have been £14

Yes couriers seem the way to go for heavy items.

24 minutes ago, Janus said:

Thanks for that Tin Foil.

I have just had a look online at parcel force and their max length is 2.5mt long max  and weight limited to only 30 kg.  OK for rods.

Interesting to hear about the cardboard box rule. The  6 ton lever hoist I have  probably weighs 60 to 80 kg and would need a very strong cardboard box to prevent it going through the bottom  🙈      :D  . When I lifted it up to hook on to a joist in the garage to test it, it felt very heavy and I did not have the weight of the  long heavy chain as that was trailing along the floor. Was thinking of putting it in an old suitcase with a couple of trouser belts around the case to ensure it doesn`t burst out. When it was delivered by courier 2 middle aged guys struggled to my front door with it :hihi:

I thought I had read on here a while back that  Hermese was good??

I had 4 van wheels delivered in a cardboard box - two per box if memory serves. If you are sending something 60-80kg I’d stick it on a pallet, might cost anything from £40-£60, might be a lot less. And more to the point, the pallet company would be more equipped to take it. I had problems with 40kg parcel and the driver of a standard delivery company (don’t recall who) refusing to take it because it’s too heavy.

This is a post I made last month.  Make sure it  is in a cardboard though or they charge extra after the event.

Try this web site. I have used it many times and usually opt for Hermes or DHL depending on the weight and dimensions. This site gives options of various couriers and delivery options with prices. 

https://www.parcel2go.com/