Lydgate Lane School

I arrived at Lydgate Lane in 1964 age 8 from a school in Sussex. Some memories:

- Head teacher was Mr R Peck, when my Dad took me for the entrance interview (term had already started),I must have been quite nervous, he put me at ease by pointing out that Mr R Peck had a red waistcoat, perhaps his first name was Robin (it wasn't).

- I arrived in class J2A, there were 45 pupils in a classroom that leaked in one corner of the room, the two pupils sitting where it splashed wore raincoats in class. Nobody seemed to think this unusual except me, a soft southerner from a purpose built new school in Sussex surrounded by green fields and with open plan classrooms and modern teaching methods. Despite/because of this I remember Lydgate Lane as much the better school.

- at the first break in the playground as the new boy I was surrounded by lads asking in an accent I could hardly understand whether I supported United or Wednesday? I knew United must be the name of a football team, had no idea why anyone would support a day of the week, and sensing that hesitation was worse than any answer I declared loudly for United. I've been a Blades fan ever since.

- our teacher in J3A and J4A was Mrs Pollard, a tough woman whose ruler on the hands hurt more than a caning from the male teachers (except for one Rhodesian guy who came on an exchange trip I think)

- one old teacher whose name I'm ashamed I forget used to give talks about the gangs in Sheffield during the 1930s, he brought history and social history alive.

- Year J3 was transferred to an Annexe in Broomhill, even more dilapidated than the main building. The cook there served up meals that were disgusting even by the low standards of the day. We were forced to eat everything on the plate, including inedible fat and gristle. Two girls were publicly humiliated by being forced by a teacher to apologise publicly to this ignorant greasebag in front of the assembly - I remember realising that this particular teacher knew what they were doing was wrong but was intimidated by the cook, the first time I realised this sort of thing could happen between adults. But the annex was where I discovered girls!

I was elected Head Boy, I don't remember anybody explaining to me what my duties were or that I ever did very much.

Hope these random memories help. You asked about careers, I eventually joined the Foreign Office and have worked mostly in Middle East countries, I can provide more details if it would be of interest for your book. Simon

Simon, I'm chuckling as I read your post, thank you very much for taking the trouble to write it!

Anything else you can remember will be warmly welcomed.

I started at Lydgate Infants in 1961/2 in Mrs. Hudsons' class and then up to the juniors the following year. I had to smile when reading Simons' memories of the frequent canings as I was on the receiving end more than once myself. In J2 we had a Mrs.Wagland who doled out the stick in front of the whole class for any minor breach of discipline, ie spelling mistakes, inkblots,or just general dopiness. I do remember the teacher from Rhodesia and I think the old teacher and his ramblings of days gone by was probably a Mr.Farley, my teacher in J3 ( another cane expert). I can also remember one day, a fellow J1 pupil and myself being chased up the stairs by a pair of J4 boys, only to be met at the top my an icy faced Mr.Peck. He marched us all into his office, where following a stern lecture on proper stair etiquette, he made us watch him deliver six of the best to each of the older boys. Ouch. Happy days!

A friend of mine has given me all these Lydgate teachers' names from the 1970s, she seems to have an indecently long memory...!!!! Miss Fuller, Miss Duke, Mr Morris, Miss Wagland - strange how everyone seems to remember her!!!! - Mrs Hogg, Mrs Horsfall, Mrs Hudson, Mrs Greenfield (Miss Theobald), Mrs Kirtley, Mrs Dodd, Mrs Reaney, Mrs Nary, Mrs Cattell. She also reminded me that the loos were outside, were awful and were cold in winter!! The windows were very high and apparently I got us into trouble and we were made to stand outside the classroom in the hall ( I have absolutely no idea what for - I have no recollection of the event!!!!):hihi:

Hi Peter

I was looking up references for Zeppelins in Sheffield which brought up the link to your thread.

I went to Lydgate Lane School between 1949 - 1955. Miss Maskell was the head of the Infant School and I also remember Mrs Marsh and Miss Black. Two memories stand out; one being forced to stay in Miss Maskell's room all afternoon with a plate of tapioca pudding in front of me because I would not eat it;the other was her response to my mother when she took me out of school to see Winston Churchill on his post war visit to Sheffield.

Of course by the Junior School, when Mr Peck was Headmaster we had to wear a uniform; brown blazer, beret and gymslip with a white blouse and brown wincyette knickers with long brown stockings and heavy brown shoes in winter. Summer uniform comprised yellow and white gingham frocks with the brown blazer, short white socks and brown sandals. I have just found my blazer badge in my mother's scrapbook together with a photograph of the last year in Infant School (no teacher) and the cast of the end of year play in my final year in the Junior School.

I certainly remember Miss Urqhart and Miss Wagland and the use of the cane. similarly the use of the Broomhill Annexe and the tram journey home. I was not allowed to go upstairs on the tram on my own but I did on one occasion and received the benefit of my mother's wrath when I opened the door. The thing I did not understand was how she knew when she had been at home. she later told me my face always gave me away if I told a lie!

I learned in later years that we did not live in the catchment area for the school but somehow I was allowed to attend. Because of this I used to walk there and back through Crookes Cemetery, morning and afternoon but stayed for school dinners all my school life. These were delivered in big steel drums and had a dsitinctive odour. Obviously since rationing was only just coming to an end, everything on the plate had to be eaten up. No reflection on the food but the toilets were outside and very cold!! What is more we were only allowed to go during playtime or dinnertime not during class. I do remember asking to go during class and being refused. As a result I had 'an accident'; not only did I have to stand in a corner in the class but walk home afterwards in the same 'clothes'!

With the scrapbook I have just found a book entitled 'My Guernsey Scrap Book' produced as a project after the summer holidays in J3A. Although we learnt to write using blackboards and chalk in the infant school by this time the entries are in 'joined-up' writing using a fountain pen. I went to Guernsey withthe 117th Sheffield Girl Guide Company- quite an adventure for those days!

Reading this now makes the school look horrific but overall it was a good school academically, but then I was fortunate to pass the 11-plus to Abbeydale Grammar School. Discipline was a key factor in society at this time and children were expected to show respect and be polite.

If you would like copies of the photographs or the badge I would be willing to send them to you privately.

Good luck with the project

Galena

I came across this forum by happy accident, which has brought back some memories of a delightful childhood and time at Lydgate Lane School. I was there from 1951 to 1958, when I moved to Abbeydate Girls Grammar School. My sister, 2 years younger, followed the same path. I left Abbeydale with 8 'O' levels, as our family moved to Lancashire.

I'll add what I can remember from so long ago.

Mr Peck's daughter, Helen, was in the same class as me and the family lived along the road leading to Crookes cemetery. Mr. Holmes also had a daughter, Susan, in the same class and lived almost opposite the school. I cannot remember which subjects he taught. There was also a Mr. Doughty who taught music and maths. I recall he nearly always work sports jackets and become incrediby red faced when angry!

I remember the area which is now the school canteen and which was used by Mr Peck for bee-keeping, and he was very good at involving interested pupils too.

Yes – the toilets were cold and often froze in the winter. The milk in the crates also froze lifting the lids of the bottles a inch above the bottle. We still had to drink the milk. There were separate entrances and playgrounds for the boys and girls entrance and we were called to attention outside the school before being led in to school each morning.

The children from Fulwood Cottage homes wore clothes which set them apart, including high laced boots. It made life difficult for them, even though we were not 'brand' conscious in those days. There was one boy, whose name I cannot remember, but who habitually did cartwheels around the playground. He also got his head stuck in the green painted railings at the front. The fire brigade was called to release hi.

Looking back, I've certainly had a fulfilling life and not one I would have envisaged while at Lydgate Lane! I took Business Studies after A levels, worked in several organisations, then later as my family grew up worked as a senior manager in Leisure and after Planning and Building Control. During this time I did a MBA at Reading University. We now have holiday cottages in the Loire Valley in France as well as a Company making trout and salmon fishing lines in pure silk.

Good luck with the project, Peter. It would be good to know when the book is ready.

I came across this forum by happy accident, which has brought back some memories of a delightful childhood and time at Lydgate Lane School. I was there from 1951 to 1958, when I moved to Abbeydate Girls Grammar School. My sister, 2 years younger, followed the same path. I left Abbeydale with 8 'O' levels, as our family moved to Lancashire.

I'll add what I can remember from so long ago.

Mr Peck's daughter, Helen, was in the same class as me and the family lived along the road leading to Crookes cemetery. Mr. Holmes also had a daughter, Susan, in the same class and lived almost opposite the school. I cannot remember which subjects he taught. There was also a Mr. Doughty who taught music and maths. I recall he nearly always work sports jackets and become incrediby red faced when angry!

I remember the area which is now the school canteen and which was used by Mr Peck for bee-keeping, and he was very good at involving interested pupils too.

Yes – the toilets were cold and often froze in the winter. The milk in the crates also froze lifting the lids of the bottles a inch above the bottle. We still had to drink the milk. There were separate entrances and playgrounds for the boys and girls entrance and we were called to attention outside the school before being led in to school each morning.

The children from Fulwood Cottage homes wore clothes which set them apart, including high laced boots. It made life difficult for them, even though we were not 'brand' conscious in those days. There was one boy, whose name I cannot remember, but who habitually did cartwheels around the playground. He also got his head stuck in the green painted railings at the front. The fire brigade was called to release hi.

Looking back, I've certainly had a fulfilling life and not one I would have envisaged while at Lydgate Lane! I took Business Studies after A levels, worked in several organisations, then later as my family grew up worked as a senior manager in Leisure and after Planning and Building Control. During this time I did a MBA at Reading University. We now have holiday cottages in the Loire Valley in France as well as a Company making trout and salmon fishing lines in pure silk.

Good luck with the project, Peter. It would be good to know when the book is ready.

I tried to quote the last line only but failed. I highlighted it, then pressed 'quote' to no avail.

However, this is to remind you Peter to let us all know when your book is out as quite a few could be interested in purchasing. Hope your research is going well. Mike

I have just discovered Sheffield Forum and Lydgate Lane School Centenary after my mother heard you on Radio Sheffield.

Well I was attending Lydgate Lane School when it celebrated its Golden Jubilee , 50 years ago. After reading some of your replies the memories are flooding back.

Being at the end of the post-war baby boom the classes were so large that the school could hardly cope.I remember 52 pupils in my class , I came to Lydgate Junior from Broomhill Infant School probably in 1955.My earliest memories were being lined up outside the main entrance in the play ground ( top side) by class in file and being guided up several flights of stone stairs. A prefect emblazoned with a shield shaped prefects badge standing on each landing to control the unruly mob. At the top was a large landing with the headmaster's office on the right ( Mr. Peck ) and the school secretary's office (Mrs. Bodsworth) next to it . Opposite was the cloakroom with rows of wooden rails fitted with "chapel hatpegs" at one side was a row of wash basins but no toilets , these were outside across the playground next to a big open shed. Another flight of stone steps led to my first classroom on the right , another on the left and then onto the school hall.

My first class J1B was taught by Miss Joel, opposite J1A was taught by Miss Tuft ( later to become Mrs. Tibbenham).

Other names that spring to mind are Mr. Farley, Mr. Holmes, Mr. Talbot ( who had two daughters in school), Mr.Clifford, Mrs. Urquart, Miss Clements , Miss Bennett who taught nature study and of course Miss Wagland. I remember what a hard woman Miss Wagland was , I think her class was J1A at the far end of the extension. She ruled with a rod of iron at the smallest misdemenour she would send the unfortunate pupil to the next classroom where they had to ask Mr.Talbot for the cane. Many years later when I purchased my batchelor pad , in a block of eight flats at Nether Edge , I found one of my fellow residents to be a sweet old lady by the name of.......Miss Wagland !!!

I remember that there were many celebrations for the Golden Jubillee including changing the blazer badge from the letters LCS to a multi coloured shield.

Amongst pupils I remember were David Hollis, Brian White, Jimmy Kennedy,Brian Ward, David Morris, Andrew Moore, Robert Watchorn ,his brothers Andrew and Brian,Roy Galley,Michael Hudson,Gloria Gandy and Janet Holt. Many more are on the tip of my tongue.

My late father also went to Lydgate Lane School in the twenties and he also wrote a book on his experiences which , unfortunately, has never been published.

I hope this epistle is interesting,

Ironmonger, thank you for your post - I'm glad someone was listening to Radio Sheffield last night!

If you, or anyone else reading this thread, would like to be kept in touch with plans for the centenary through our developing mailing list, and hear of upcoming events, please email your contact details to 'lydgatelaneschool@hotmail.co.uk'

I'll try and keep posting general news here.

Amongst pupils I remember were David Hollis, Brian White, Jimmy Kennedy,Brian Ward, David Morris, Andrew Moore, Robert Watchorn ,his brothers Andrew and Brian,Roy Galley,Michael Hudson,Gloria Gandy and Janet Holt. Many more are on the tip of my tongue.

Is this the same Brian Watchorn who later became a teacher at the school??? - he was my form teacher in the 3rd year at Lydgate Middle!!!

Found this the other day when I was trawling through some old photos. Not certain of the year, but at a guess J3, c1952/53. Can't recall all the names, but here are the ones that I do:

Back row L to R: Gerald Hall, David Bower(?), John Swain, ?, ?, ?, Me, Albert Dawson, Danny ?;

Second Row: Michael George(?), Michael Proctor, Frank Christian, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?;

Third Row: John Lomas, ?, ?, Trevor Pace, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?;

Front Row: ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, Rodney Bradford, ?, David Copley, ?, ?, ?, Graham Axelby(?).

Wendy Carson, Veronica Croft, Judith Baildon, Donald Hinchcliffe are other names that I remember, but can't identify on the photo. Can anyone else help fill in the gaps?

The picture can be viewed (hopefully) at:lydgateschool.jpg

With apologise to anyone I've confused with someone else.

Bob Brocklehurst

Hi Bob,

I guess you must be the chap who lived on Manchester Rd, near bottom of Stephen Hill Rd. I'll try and access the photo and see if I recognise Michael George plus any others.

Tried to have a look but it says its a private album. Any advice as to how to get access would be appreciated.