Lydgate Lane School

I worked filling in the air raid shelters, they were quite extensive, had to stack thousands of bricks to block them up, we got down a hole not much bigger than a man hole, we were literally buried with bricks and had to dig our way out, can't see the health and safety allowing that nowadays, the job took around three weeks.

I remember air raid shelters,I was at the school 1956-59

Also remember the Zion building behind the school,if you went up the metal steps you'd find a room with equipment inside

On 29/12/2014 at 17:28, Sidery said:

I taught a lovely year 2 class in Lydgate Lane Primary 1989 -'92... Some great kids and staff! It was when the National Curriculum was setting in and we were like headless chickens!!! Mytherin'! Thank goodness we had a sense of humour..

I was there then! I'd love to know what became of some of the staff at that time, I loved every one of them!

Hi everyone, I left Lydgate Lane in 1959 Paul Hopkinson. My older brother John, 4 years earlier. The cartwheel kid was Tony Kearney. I remember all the aforementioned staff. I was devastated when Miss Tuft came back as Mrs Tibbenham, felt sure she'd wait till I grew up.  Remember Peter Tooze with the shortened Achilles tendons. The flexible Barbara Poppleton. Lance Mallinson who's teeth were knocked out with a sports day skittle by John? Hunt. Kenneth Schofield head of "blue"? I was deputy. More people springing to mind. I would have happily died and gone to heaven for a sidewase glance from Susan Whittington, what a dark haired beauty she was. Probably a grey haired beauty now. I too was outside the catchment area but my mother, a fiesty woman of about 25 persuaded the powers that be to move the boundary to Tinker Lane so all of St Anthony Rd was included. Walked through Crookes cemetery as well. Can't remember her name but some big girl used to play kiss chase in the park and usually caught me YUCK. Mr Clifford thought he was something, walking around with his swagger stick under his arm and hitting us with it. It couldn't have been just me because we had competitions to see who could wee furthest up the toilet wall. Struggling to wee downhill now !!!. Mr Farley? Took us to swimming lessons and lined us up on the pavement to cross the road so we all crossed in the same time it would take one to cross. Something about avoiding machine gun fire. Well will chip in again when the old grey matter allows. Enjoyed the experience.

Oh, and the"old" crippled bloke with a built up shoe, pushing his iron wheeled cart filled with "firewood" taking our verbal abuse with apparent understanding. Suppose it happened for him year on year.

I think one of my friends sons went there maybe in the 1950's name of Richard Burrows.

I worked with his father, Arthur, for a while 1957-1960 - he was a Chartered Accountant/Auditor

I sold Richard his first motorcycle in 1958 - green BSA Bantam 125c

Best Wishes - Victor - Hot and Sunny Malaysia

I was at Lydgate 1948-54 and enjoyed every day. Mr Saville was our teacher for the last 2 years and he was great.

All the class sailed through the 11 plus  -  but King Teds wasn't as enjoyable as Lydgate. Over the years, I've bumped into a few old classmates, but not many.

If I knew Joe Cocker was to become famous, I'd have got his autograph in 1954 - or when he was on stage at St. Columbas in 1961/2.

Hi Everyone,

I was a pupil at Lydgate Lane infant and primary School during the war from 1941 -1947. My best pal was Mick Beck from Tapton Hill Terrace who sat next to me on our first day who was born 1 week later than me. I also remember very well Phil Staves and Brian Daniels.  After the 11+ I went to High Storrs  Grammar School and after National Service to Manchester University School of Architecture, Anyone remember me can contact me at deitch@netvision.net.il. My nickname in those days was "Getz".

Edited by Getz
wrong address

19 hours ago, Getz said:

Hi Everyone,

I was a pupil at Lydgate Lane infant and primary School during the war from 1941 -1947. My best pal was Mick Beck from Tapton Hill Terrace who sat next to me on our first day who was born 1 week later than me. I also remember very well Phil Staves and Brian Daniels.  After the 11+ I went to High Storrs  Grammar School and after National Service to Manchester University School of Architecture, Anyone remember me can contact me at deitch@netvision.net.il. My nickname in those days was "Getz".

Hi, Getz, my dad's brother - Ron Womersley - also went to Lydgate around the same time (maybe a couple of years before you) - I believe he was head boy at High Storrs later... Just wondered if you remembered him??? My mum also went to Lydgate and would have been there around 1940 - (Mary) Jean Watson... 

Hi all. I came across this thread by a massive coincidence. I was a pupil at Lydgate Lane from about 1948 through to leaving in July 1954. I recognised a number of the names and incidents through this thread. In particular “michaelG” with whom I was part of the Raiders.

Michael, thank you for verifying independently our participation in that group as I have had a lot of stick and abuse from now very grown up offspring and my older grandchildren. MG if you can PM me it would be good to catch up.

My name is Brian Hill and if anyone who new me is “still alive” it would be great to catch up.

Oh the memories that are flooding back. I remember the incident with Cottage Home boy who got his head stuck and it was only today that I told my oldest grandson about seeing who could pee highest up the toilet wall (top playground). Great days.

23 hours ago, Hillyboy said:

Hi all. I came across this thread by a massive coincidence. I was a pupil at Lydgate Lane from about 1948 through to leaving in July 1954. I recognised a number of the names and incidents through this thread. In particular “michaelG” with whom I was part of the Raiders.

Michael, thank you for verifying independently our participation in that group as I have had a lot of stick and abuse from now very grown up offspring and my older grandchildren. MG if you can PM me it would be good to catch up.

My name is Brian Hill and if anyone who new me is “still alive” it would be great to catch up.

Oh the memories that are flooding back. I remember the incident with Cottage Home boy who got his head stuck and it was only today that I told my oldest grandson about seeing who could pee highest up the toilet wall (top playground). Great days.

Hi Brian,

Tried to send pm but computer being silly.. Will try again and condense 60 years of history into a page or two.  Great to hear from you. Am still in touch with Barry Holmes who was with Pat Leslie and the Greycats for quite a while.  Will try to send pm soon.

5 hours ago, mikeG said:

Hi Brian,

Tried to send pm but computer being silly.. Will try again and condense 60 years of history into a page or two.  Great to hear from you. Am still in touch with Barry Holmes who was with Pat Leslie and the Greycats for quite a while.  Will try to send pm soon.

Hi Mike. If no PM use brianfhill42@gmail.com Cheers.

12 hours ago, Hillyboy said:

Hi Mike. If no PM use brianfhill42@gmail.com Cheers.

email on its way from backflashmg@hotmail.com