Lydgate Lane School

Hi Bob,

I guess you must be the chap who lived on Manchester Rd, near bottom of Stephen Hill Rd. I'll try and access the photo and see if I recognise Michael George plus any others.

Tried to have a look but it says its a private album. Any advice as to how to get access would be appreciated.

Click Here ;)

Thanks Cresta.

Bob, are we looking at 3A or 3B?

Michael George is not 2nd row 1st on left. I may be front row, 2cnd cross legged boy from right.

Wendy Carson might be 5th from right 3rd row down.

Back row 4th from left could be Judith Lock.

It might be a mixture of A and B streams.

If it were all 3A, I'd be looking for Veronica Croft, Brenda Harper, Richard Hardwick, Rodney Toplis, Frank Parker, Andrew Littlewood, Joan Jackson.-- Sad thing is, they may all be on there as we are going back some 54 years or so. I may have seen Sharon Foster.

I'll keep on looking and see if I can summon up more inspiration.

Somewhere, I have a list of 48 of the 52 pupils in J4A 1953/54.

Can't see Edwina French or Stephen Siddall either. Interesting photo though. Let us know if you find any more.

Mike, glad you managed to access the picture.

Yes, that's me - third house past St Columbas church.

Sorry, no idea if it's 3A or B, no identification on the picture.

Funnily enough, a couple of hours after I'd posted, Stephen Siddall's name suddenly popped out of the memory banks. Since then David Chappell, John Ridgeway, Rosalind Lovell - possibly 2nd row 4th from the left - Wendy Turton, Irene Smith, Rodney(?) Andrews, whose family owned the quarry opposite the Bell Hagg Inn, Maureen Cocker, Nicholas Hanson and Roger Barker have joined the parade.

If anything else of interest emerges I'll post it on here.

Your younger brother Bob (I think) called simply 'Brocks' came to the reunion at the Polish ex Serviceman's Club in Hunters Bar November 1990. Nice Guy. Trouble is with photos of yesteryear, we all look young enough to be our own grandsons. Quarry opposite Bell Hagg=Brian Andrews(he's still in touch with Mick Twigg with whom I went to Chester races in May 2007).Hopefully Haydock September 28th. Saw Dick Outwin in May as well. John Ridgeway lives near us in Gresford, North Wales. He and Janet(Emery) were also present at Chester in May.Both had career as pharmacists.The Rodney with (?) could be Toplis.

Can anyone remember Mr Chandler and his son Leo they lived just behind the school, Miss Urquhart and Mr Doughty - i believe he arrived when Mr Chander left.

Mr Peck was Headmaster at the time what a gentleman.

Can anyone remember Mr Chandler and his son Leo they lived just behind the school, Miss Urquhart and Mr Doughty - i believe he arrived when Mr Chander left.

Mr Peck was Headmaster at the time what a gentleman.

I can't remember Mr. Chandler, but I do remember Miss Urquhart, Mr. Doughty and , of course, Mr. Peck.

I also remember Miss Joel, Mrs. Tibbenham (nee Tuft), Mrs Hogg, Mr. Clifford, Mr. Farley, Mr.Talbot, Miss Wagland, Miss Bennett and Miss Clements.

I can also see the face of the school secretary in my mind but cannot remember her name.

Miss Bennett took us for Nature Study, she retired during my term. Of course we all had a whip round and amongst other items we presented her with a cut glass bowl. When I returned home I promptly told my Mum that we had bought her a broken glass bowl.

Miss Wagland was a real tartar, I remember her sending me to the next classroom to ask Mr. Talbot to give me the stick. I hated her. Would you believe that when I eventually left home some 25years later and bought a flat in Nether Edge the sweet old lady neighbour was *******

I certainly remember Miss Clemments - certainly didn't mess about in her class. I thought it was a great school loved every minute - even when I had to go down to the infants where my little sister was being made to wash her mouth out with soap!!!

Mmmmm !

My memories of Lydgate Lane... About 1958-1962

Folding wooden walls to divide the classrooms upstairs.

Disgusting food in the seperate canteen, being made to sit in the canteen until I ate

something that looked like the dog threw it up.

The smell of wet socks on radiators during winter.

A well developed girl called Molly who had to change for PE in the toilets while everyone

else changed in the main hall.

Mr Talbot (The cane man) who was an absolute prat.

Some snotty nosed kid that used to love to pinch everyone with his long black fingernails

and we all thought was the cause of an outbreak of boils.

Blowing a main fuse when I wired up a class fish tank light.

Old crappy hard wooden desks with inkwells.

The sweet shop in crosspool where I got of the bus.

No real fond memories of this place at all, in fact after recollection

it was a cold hard place !

Anyone remember Frank Whittington expupil circa 49-55 went off to Canada, and than cycled around South America I heard. Parents had pub at the botton of Ecclesall Road. Good guy!! Must have many interesting stories!!

Anyone remember Frank Whittington expupil circa 49-55 went off to Canada, and than cycled around South America I heard. Parents had pub at the botton of Ecclesall Road. Good guy!! Must have many interesting stories!!

Am pretty sure Frank wasn't in my year which left to start secondary/grammar school in 1954. He may have been in Joe Cocker's year which was the year below me. There were so many kids in that year, they had to have 3 classes as opposed to the usual 2.

Third row far right, John Mitchell, you would know him Mike, played guitar with Joe before the Avengers, and lived on Tasker Road with Joe and I.

Third row far right, John Mitchell, you would know him Mike, played guitar with Joe before the Avengers, and lived on Tasker Road with Joe and I.

I'm sure you're right Skippy. The first time I saw Joe was early 1961 at St. Columbas and I'm afraid I can't remember what the rest of the group looked like.