SAVE THE DOVE AND RAINBOW!!!

The Dove and Rainbow has been on the Sheffield LIVE MUSIC circuit for years now. The current Pub Company, Punch Taverns,  wish to

trash the interior and refurbish it to become a more generic 'ordinary' Pub, serving food, removing the current stage, trashing the artwork and features, losing the pool table and jukebox and pinball.  In short, 

their plans are to refurbish the pub into something completely bland and different, losing one of Sheffield's landmark live music venues, and ripping out the custom built large stage and sound system (a stage and sound system many pubs would die for)

Sheffield has lost many of it's iconic live music venues over the last few years, and we don't want the Dove to be another of those lost venues.

While the Dove is in need of some interior work, it is felt by thousands of people now (see the petition below) that the current refurb plans by Punch destroy the heart and Soul of the venue.
The Dove has been on the live music circuit for local and National touring bands for over 12 years now, and has many music festivals and also it's own contribution to TRAMLINES. All this would be LOST
if the Pub Company get its way. There is simply NO NEED to create a generic, food driven pub right next door to Wetherspoons, who will always be able to underprice any food offer the Dove could do.

The Dove is a niche market venue, very popular with bands and gig goers, and we must protect it from being turned into something that might work on West Street, but is utterly wrong for the area of Hartshead next to Wetherspoons!

The timeline for this work is that the Dove will close at the end of June. if you are concerned that yet another Sheffield live music venue and iconic venue gets 'normalized', you can SIGN THE PETITION below. As of Friday this morning, we have 2,600

signatures to SAVE THE DOVE AND RAINBOW. Sign if you care about keeping this important live music venue alive and kicking. 

if you want to come down and enjoy the Dove as it is,  currently you have until the end of June before it is shuts. If you want to try and make a difference, and make the Pub Company realize that they should keep the Dove as a live music venue with its amazing stage and sound system, please sign the petition and be active on the facebook group below

In the meantime THE SHOW MUST GO ON. I am DJ as usual on Friday nights, the best in rock and metal, and the more the merrier! 

SHEFFIELD STAR ARTICLE

SAVE THE DOVE AND RAINBOW AND KEEP IT ALTERNATIVE AND LIVE MUSIC VENUE

FACEBOOK GROUP TO SAVE THE DOVE

Signed fella, did think of you when I first read the news :(

The petition is going round facebook too

yes it is doing the rounds! Well, you never know, People power and all that MIGHT have some ultimate influence....

Oh no! BAD! Does the Dove have a twitter account? I can spread the word on our blog thing if it helps to get more signatures.

26 minutes ago, goldenfleece said:

yes it is doing the rounds! Well, you never know, People power and all that MIGHT have some ultimate influence....

like your point, what is the point in having it compete with the weatherspoons next door, doing exactly the same...it cant, turning it into an everyday pub will not work, its doing fine as a rock / live niche venue with a large fanbase

Guest makapaka
51 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

These Pubcos will be the death of pubs 

Certainly will.

already decimated scores of out of town pubs.

41 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Certainly will.

already decimated scores of out of town pubs.

I find it very strange.  Biting the hand that feeds them 

Remember the Dove fondly from the 60s and 70s. Used to be on the circuit along with the  Old Blue Bell next door, in our downtown pub crawls. More recently in the mid-70s when I was getting divorced and dating my present wife of the last 43 years. We often saw Ray Stuart(RIP) in there Sunday lunchtime after his morning radio show on Radio Hallam in its early days and we would chat about the early Sheffield music scene. One of my last memories was on a Sunday night, which was always full of punk rock fans. The jukebox was continually playing a song called Albert Tatlock, my then girlfriend and I were just peeing ourselves. The title of the song was the entire lyrical content along with repetitive one chord strumming LOL.

Anyway guys, good luck with your endeavours to keep the pub as is. I agree with you all about the demise of the old pubs by teetotalers and turning them into their idea of what a pub should be. 

Cheers from Canada.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Saw the petition on Facebook yesterday, signed & shared it straightaway.

Would be a real shame to see this pub trashed - it's refreshingly different to the proliferation of, in the main, bland pubs in the city centre.  Was in there a couple of weeks ago & was thinking then about how  good it was & how it's managed to stay unspoilt for so long - think I first went there in the mid 1980s & it's great that it doesn't seem to have changed much at all (apart from the choice of beer which is much better now than it was then!)

1 hour ago, Ontarian1981 said:

The jukebox was continually playing a song called Albert Tatlock, my then girlfriend and I were just peeing ourselves. The title of the song was the entire lyrical content along with repetitive one chord strumming LOL.

That would actually be by The Skids and is a B side to the Into the valley single and which is actually titled TV stars