Property/Rental Legal advice

I've been doing this for a quite a while. I have never had to follow-through a Section 21 all the way. I don't necessarily like the imbalance that is arising between Landlord and Tenant sides, between Landlord and Government (taxation)... but I'm going to look at this upcoming change objectively... I had always believed the law was fair to both sides equally (others will have their own view, likely coloured by experience). The article uses emotive language like "profiteering" and "at a moment's notice"... the Section 21 has never been "at a moment's notice" and there's nothing wrong with a business aiming to make a profit. Most good Landlords want their Tenants to stay on... this legislation is a broad brush approach to net bad Landlords as well (who'll probably just use other tactics to get what they want and take advantage of the ill-informed)... the beauty of a no fault / no reason eviction (for they are one and the same thing nicely encompassed within the Section 21) was that it allowed some people to obtain Council properties... whereas a Section 8 (for, say, rent arrears) was a thing that the Council would consider as a Tenant making themselves intentionally homeless, therefore they'd be due no help... so that needs fixing as part of this. I don't think it would deter me... the approach of the Landlord wanting to sell or move back in would still be available it seems (and that would be applicable to the OP here). While it can go wrong, of course, it's actually quite close to a pretty good passive income.

The need for taking some legal advice, though, is dubious indeed.

A friend who rented his house for some reason the tenant said the lock stopped working so they had someone change the locks. They kept making an excuse to give him a key until he eventually found out they had been using it to grow cannabis. 

It cost him alot of money to get the place fixed up again.

Your friend might count himself fortunate not to have been prosecuted! Receiving rent funded by a criminal offence is capable of itself being a criminal offence.

On 27/05/2019 at 15:39, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Your friend might count himself fortunate not to have been prosecuted! Receiving rent funded by a criminal offence is capable of itself being a criminal offence.

I suspect very few if any landlords have ever been convicted of this offence