16 MPs claiming cash to rent London homes - while letting out their own

4 hours ago, makapaka said:

It’s a good idea.

Yes it is, lights out at 10 pm and no pillow fighting, save that for the commons.:nono:

12 hours ago, makapaka said:

There’s plenty decent properties available in London at £3k a month.

Sorry, thought you'd said month, but you said /week.  You're quite correct.

It is ridiculous.

If I have to work away from home frequently in one location for a period time, my company might choose to rent me a property rather than pay a hotel bill. 

This is done to cover my expenses. If I work in the Town I live in they of course wouldn’t do that.

i don’t subscribe to the ‘put them in Halls’ argument, they are senior professionals and should be treated as such.

The allowance should be based on need, it’s really not hard, many companies manage this for thousands of employees at a time. For 650 people it should be a doodle to make sure they are not taking the pi**. Truth is, they see it as embellishing their meagre salary (in their view) and so won’t do anything about it.

Totally agree with TheNugget, expenses manuals are clear generally about how far from home you have to be before you can book accommodation and then how much you can spend.

On 11/04/2019 at 17:26, Penistone999 said:

The easy way to solve this is to create a halls of residence for MP`s while they are in London. 

The correct solution 100% on the money. But don't hold your breath while you wait for it to happen. Just like the Brexit result, if the Westminster parasites don't want it to happen, 10/1 it will not happen.

Angel1.

20 hours ago, TheNugget said:

It is ridiculous.

If I have to work away from home frequently in one location for a period time, my company might choose to rent me a property rather than pay a hotel bill. 

This is done to cover my expenses. If I work in the Town I live in they of course wouldn’t do that.

i don’t subscribe to the ‘put them in Halls’ argument, they are senior professionals and should be treated as such.

The allowance should be based on need, it’s really not hard, many companies manage this for thousands of employees at a time. For 650 people it should be a doodle to make sure they are not taking the pi**. Truth is, they see it as embellishing their meagre salary (in their view) and so won’t do anything about it.

Senior professionals, Jared Omara MP and Fiona Onasanya MP, I will leave it at that.

Angel1.

What is your point supposed to be?   

There are rotten apples in every barrel.    There are plenty of bent solicitors who have been defrocked.  Plenty of dodgy doctors charged with hideous crimes. 

That does not mean the entire profession deserves to be devalued.

Despite what the reactionaries think being an MP is deemed a senior professional role. 

If people actually looked beyond the headlines and take time to understand what they actually do  and the responsibilities they take on day in day out they would clearly see that.

Even better, why dont people get a taste for themselves.  Download your average proposed bill or some committee advisory report from the net.   Read it thoroughly and analyse its contents.  Make a decision on an amendment you would make and have a go at trying to draft a concise speech which you can present in minutes before the house.   

Try watching even an hour of streaming from Parliament or some recorded committee session and imagine sitting through that day after day week after week.

All too easy for people to shout they can do better when they are on the other side of the fence.

Edited by ECCOnoob

I would gladly listen to any session for what they are paid. I have spent a good part of my working life away from home, I have always had some kind of living allowance in with job. There is no mystery to doing this,its just common sense.

On 13/04/2019 at 20:28, ECCOnoob said:

What is your point supposed to be?   

There are rotten apples in every barrel.    There are plenty of bent solicitors who have been defrocked.  Plenty of dodgy doctors charged with hideous crimes. 

That does not mean the entire profession deserves to be devalued.

Despite what the reactionaries think being an MP is deemed a senior professional role. 

If people actually looked beyond the headlines and take time to understand what they actually do  and the responsibilities they take on day in day out they would clearly see that.

Even better, why dont people get a taste for themselves.  Download your average proposed bill or some committee advisory report from the net.   Read it thoroughly and analyse its contents.  Make a decision on an amendment you would make and have a go at trying to draft a concise speech which you can present in minutes before the house.   

Try watching even an hour of streaming from Parliament or some recorded committee session and imagine sitting through that day after day week after week.

All too easy for people to shout they can do better when they are on the other side of the fence.

You imply the Westminster parasites are on a level with Einstein, not so. Many would fail to to be a lower class manager. Don't forget that a few of them are truly or were truly working class. I suspect these working class MP's may be the cream of Westminster, unlike their Oxbridge colleagues whose claim to fame is they can speak with a marble in their gobs and were left the family fortune.

Angel1.

40 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

You imply the Westminster parasites are on a level with Einstein, not so. Many would fail to to be a lower class manager. Don't forget that a few of them are truly or were truly working class. I suspect these working class MP's may be the cream of Westminster, unlike their Oxbridge colleagues whose claim to fame is they can speak with a marble in their gobs and were left the family fortune.

Angel1.

Bang on the money