how to transfer WhatsApp data from one phone to another

I'm having immense difficulty backing up my WhatsApp data which I want to transfer onto a new phone.  The old phone is an iphone4 and its successor is an iPhone 7plus.  Would appreciate advice. Thanks in anticipation 

I'm not sure that you can.

Everyone I know who has bought a new phone has lost their WhatsApp account and has had to open a new account. 😱

On my phone there is an option to backup the WhatsApp data to my Google Drive, it does it automatically.

You can then restore the data from Drive.

Under settings > chats > chat backup

I'm not sure if this option is available to iPhones though.

6 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

I'm not sure if this option is available to iPhones though.

Yes, if you back up your devices to Apple's iCloud it will reinstall everything as is (apart from iTunes for some reason) if you get a new phone.

theoretically it allows me to back up chat history to iCloud. it says the last backup was on 21 January and total size is 53kb

underneath all the text blurb there's a new line which says Backing up ... and then there's little gizmo whirling around

underneath that it says Uploading: 0 bytes of 69.5 MB (0%)

at the very top of that screen it says: Cant complete backup. You need to sign into a different iCloud account from your iPhone settings which is absurd because  I only have one iCloud account 

11 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I'm not sure that you can.

Everyone I know who has bought a new phone has lost their WhatsApp account and has had to open a new account. 😱

I've gone through multiple phones without doing that.  I don't know about historical chat information, never been particularly bothered, but I suspect it transferred without me doing anything (android).

1 hour ago, andco said:

theoretically it allows me to back up chat history to iCloud. it says the last backup was on 21 January and total size is 53kb

underneath all the text blurb there's a new line which says Backing up ... and then there's little gizmo whirling around

underneath that it says Uploading: 0 bytes of 69.5 MB (0%)

at the very top of that screen it says: Cant complete backup. You need to sign into a different iCloud account from your iPhone settings which is absurd because  I only have one iCloud account 

Did you google it?

https://www.fonepaw.com/ios-whatsapp/could-not-complete-backup-whatsapp.html

I found that, you need to authorise whatsapp to use icloud.

Can you not transfer it using  Whatsapp Web on your computer?

thanks, cyclone and  iansheff. no idea. feel totally bewildered by it all.  Unfortunately I need the data because it relates to business transactions and coursework

Edited by andco