Mind blowing image of a black hole.

First ever image of a black hole on the news now. Every little detail about it is mind blowing . I can't say no more .

Edited by nikki-red

Wait for it!

"Studio mock up!"

I don't care what it looks like. It's literally, out of this world 

4 hours ago, hackey lad said:

First ever image of a black hole on the news now. Every little detail about it is mind blowing . I can't say no more .

Not sure about mind blowing, since it looked pretty much as you would expect it to look, but it is pretty cool and a great achievement.

As I said,  I don't care what it looks like.  Just thinking about it is mind blowing. 

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

As I said,  I don't care what it looks like.  Just thinking about it is mind blowing. 

Not to mention that it's "15 million trillion kilometres" away.

My mind can't cope/deal with that....

Sorry for the daft (ie naive) question...

As I understand it the pull of a black hole is so great that nothing can escape it. Everything is drawn in, even light.

Soooooo....

How did any light (in whatever form) escape its pull to now be seen by our telescopes?

20 minutes ago, Eater Sundae said:

Sorry for the daft (ie naive) question...

As I understand it the pull of a black hole is so great that nothing can escape it. Everything is drawn in, even light.

Soooooo....

How did any light (in whatever form) escape its pull to now be seen by our telescopes?

It didn't.

What they took a photo of is the gases being caught by the gravity and pulled into the black hole as they spiral towards the event horizon.

It's not a photo of the hole, it's the stuff being sucked into it that makes it visible.