Is this Sheff traffic light set up wrong?

On this section of carriageway just before the wicker (with parkway  behind you) there is  a crossroads junction controlled by lights. No apparent problems there.

However, there is a steel bridge just past the lights with a pelican crossing. 

Yesterday while trying to cross I nearly got run over. This was because several cars were setting off when the pedestrian light was showing green man for me. There are no lights for the drivers to see once they have left the lights behind them, and then stopped in queuing traffic in the middle of the juction  just before the crossing.

How can there not be lights at the crossing for approaching vehicles? Am I missing something?

Well at least you missed the cars.

The drivers are at fault, they shouldn't proceed past the set of lights until they can clear the entire space.

If they got stopped because of queueing traffic and then assumed they had a green after the crossing traffic stopped, then they were at fault, both sets of lights were at red to allow for pedestrians to cross.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3865811,-1.4588394,3a,75y,296.24h,86.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scCjq_3ewJaFujUbDV1ThFw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Is that the spot you mean?

And it's this crossing

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3866461,-1.4595578,3a,75y,312.06h,69.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sk678i_6icL0bsgq22_uDYg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There is no yellow box, but perhaps there should be.

19 minutes ago, Janus said:

On this section of carriageway just before the wicker (with parkway  behind you) there is  a crossroads junction controlled by lights. No apparent problems there.

However, there is a steel bridge just past the lights with a pelican crossing. 

Yesterday while trying to cross I nearly got run over. This was because several cars were setting off when the pedestrian light was showing green man for me. There are no lights for the drivers to see once they have left the lights behind them, and then stopped in queuing traffic in the middle of the juction  just before the crossing.

How can there not be lights at the crossing for approaching vehicles? Am I missing something?

The pedestrian crossing is part of the overall signalised junction and is operated by the same traffic signal controller.  As Cyclone says, the drivers may have been caught in traffic and haven't taken due care when setting off again. However, the green man signal means cross when it is safe to do so. It doesn't guarantee that all drivers will comply with the signals, so you have to look and take your own view on whether they will stop.

50 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

The drivers are at fault, they shouldn't proceed past the set of lights until they can clear the entire space.

If they got stopped because of queueing traffic and then assumed they had a green after the crossing traffic stopped, then they were at fault, both sets of lights were at red to allow for pedestrians to cross.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3865811,-1.4588394,3a,75y,296.24h,86.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scCjq_3ewJaFujUbDV1ThFw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Is that the spot you mean?

And it's this crossing

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3866461,-1.4595578,3a,75y,312.06h,69.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sk678i_6icL0bsgq22_uDYg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There is no yellow box, but perhaps there should be.

That is the junction  Cyclone in your first link.

Second link, basically yes but I was on the opposite side wanting to cross.

When I got home I  kept asking myself why is there no box section, but also thought maybe their had been one at some point that had faded. I certainly didn`t see the box section, as you confirm it does not exist.

51 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

The pedestrian crossing is part of the overall signalised junction and is operated by the same traffic signal controller.  As Cyclone says, the drivers may have been caught in traffic and haven't taken due care when setting off again. However, the green man signal means cross when it is safe to

Yes, quite. When the vehicles are stationary and  a green signal is displayed to me I consider it safe to cross which is what I attempted to do. If it had been a child they possibly could have run across on observing what I did-possible fatality with a child if hit at the side of the head by a car.

An accident waiting to happen.

Can anyone say what the second set of lights (up against the wall) is for when turning left from Brightside Lane towards Upwell Street? Sorry I dont know how to provide the link from Street View.

2 hours ago, carosio said:

Can anyone say what the second set of lights (up against the wall) is for when turning left from Brightside Lane towards Upwell Street? Sorry I dont know how to provide the link from Street View.

You mean this one: https://goo.gl/maps/CHLF1tPhBngTJSwL9

on it it there are two secondary traffic signals, one is for the stop line on the roundabout, the other is for the stop line for traffic entering the roundabout from Brightside Lane. Providing a secondary signal, set back some distance from the stop line is standard practice in the UK.

Yesterday, when passing the first set on green (in LH lane coming off Brightside Lane,) this secondary set was on red. Not so today, though.

It might be that if you cross the first stop line as it changes to amber, the second set will have changed to red before you have reached it.

Edited by carosio
update

19 hours ago, carosio said:

Yesterday, when passing the first set on green (in LH lane coming off Brightside Lane,) this secondary set was on red. Not so today, though.

It might be that if you cross the first stop line as it changes to amber, the second set will have changed to red before you have reached it.

It is not possible for a secondary signal that relates to your approach to be red at the same time as your primary signals are green. They all change at exactly the same time. So, you are either mistaken, or perhaps a signal head relating to the other approach is misaligned?

You should also remember that amber means stop.

The secondary signal has no legal status and there is no stop line at it's location, so you can therefore pass it if it has turned red, if it is safe to do so.

22 hours ago, carosio said:

It's a repeater for the lights you've already passed (as Planner1 said) and there is no line on the floor, thus nowhere to stop.

You can see both lights here

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4046436,-1.4288637,3a,75y,0.22h,81.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEjtz_wwmiZt64JCMYy3vgA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It is rather off putting though if at red.

Edited by carosio