Debenhams goes into Administration

On 15/04/2019 at 11:29, PRESLEY said:

Stores such as Debenhams, House of Fraser, John Lewis are too expensive for Chavs and such like.  And thats majority type of people in this country.  SADLY! :roll:

I agree. If Debenhams does go you will have to travel to London or Manchester to get descent clothes. In the past with a favourable exchange rate we have even shopped in New York to get descent clothes at about one eigth the price here. though not so much worth it these days. As to John Lewis I could not see a coat I liked there in spite of the prices.

HoF is still operating, I didn't realise that it had been saved.  And there's M&S, although I don't like the clothes there myself.

There are plenty of decent smaller shops though, you've got Hugo Boss and Ted Baker for example in Meadowhell, also Diesel.  So the idea that you'll have to go Leeds or Manchester seems like nonsense.

Don't forget Primark. Clothes made in the same places as the rest of the shops but sold at a more honest price.

I'd be intrigued to find out whether they really are made in the same place.

I don't like that shop myself, I don't like to have to hunt through jammed racks in a mishmash of types and styles, so I can't comment firsthand, but I've heard that the quality is very poor (which would suggest not made in the same place or to the same standard).

The quality is fine and they are made in the same places. I can almost imagine some garments being put together somewhere and one getting a Primark label and £5 price tag put on, the other getting an M&S label and £20 put on. Yes the shopping experience isn't great, you have to rifle through badly sorted piles and fight your way through the great unwashed, but it's worth it to save the money, which I much rather seeing in my bank account.

On 20/04/2019 at 07:45, spilldig said:

I agree. If Debenhams does go you will have to travel to London or Manchester to get descent clothes. In the past with a favourable exchange rate we have even shopped in New York to get descent clothes at about one eigth the price here. though not so much worth it these days. As to John Lewis I could not see a coat I liked there in spite of the prices.

How much clothing would you have to be buying?

In the past there were no budget flights to NYC, so you're talking about £500 on a flight, and getting to the airport and the rest of it.

So if you could get clothes at 1/8th price (I don't think you could, I've been to NYC quite a few times over the last 20 years and never thought that clothing was particularly cheap). 

What would 1/8th cost look like really.  A pair of Levi's (as a random example for a famous US brand) for £10 or less?  Google tells me that in NYC they're $56 (weirdly specific).

The cost of living websites have this to say

For NYC compared to this for Sheffield.

Definitely not that much cheaper.  Although how these prices are put together I don't know.

Guest makapaka
On 21/04/2019 at 08:01, Cyclone said:

I'd be intrigued to find out whether they really are made in the same place.

I don't like that shop myself, I don't like to have to hunt through jammed racks in a mishmash of types and styles, so I can't comment firsthand, but I've heard that the quality is very poor (which would suggest not made in the same place or to the same standard).

I think with primark you just need to use your noodle.

youre never gonna buy a quality pair of jeans or suit or anything from there but a pair of pumps or some joggers for doing the garden in and it’s good value.

also kids love it as it’s affordable dressy clothing so they get the fun of buying a few different things without it breaking even their pocket money or their parents bank!!

I'd agree with that Maka, but that's not what WiseOwl claimed.

48 minutes ago, makapaka said:

I think with primark you just need to use your noodle.

youre never gonna buy a quality pair of jeans or suit or anything from there but a pair of pumps or some joggers for doing the garden in and it’s good value.

also kids love it as it’s affordable dressy clothing so they get the fun of buying a few different things without it breaking even their pocket money or their parents bank!!

I just bought a 6 pound ghostbusters t shirt from there lol, wanted an Atari hoodie but didn't have large or extra large left

On 20/04/2019 at 14:02, Cyclone said:

HoF is still operating, I didn't realise that it had been saved.  And there's M&S, although I don't like the clothes there myself.

There are plenty of decent smaller shops though, you've got Hugo Boss and Ted Baker for example in Meadowhell, also Diesel.  So the idea that you'll have to go Leeds or Manchester seems like nonsense.

Obviously you have different standards. For instance, coats are a good example, even the ones at a couple of hundred pounds are shaped like upside down binliners.

Are you talking about at HoF and M&S, or at Primark?  Wasn't it your claim that you would have to go to Leeds or Manchester?

Or you're saying that my standards (HoF and M&S being my suggestions) are lower than your standards (Debenhams)?  If so, you've confused me.  I even said that I didn't like the clothes at M&S, but they're generally regarded as equivalent to Debendhams.

The last coat I bought was a Diesel leather jacket.  It's definitely not shaped like a bin bag.

I don't really do the traditional wool coat though (although I did have a very nice Hugo Boss one, short jacket cut though, not long coat).  I'm more of a soft shell, gortex outer, Rab down, or leather jacket, those would be what I'd wear typically.

Edited by Cyclone

4 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Are you talking about at HoF and M&S, or at Primark?  Wasn't it your claim that you would have to go to Leeds or Manchester?

Well as I understand it we are not allowed to name retailers on the forum in a derogatory way, so I can't name and shame, as it were, but unless the situation has changed very recently. I mean from about two years ago. For a long time, many years in fact, I have noticed in American films that things like coats always seem to be far better than ours. Some very good clothes also in places like China, Japan, Brazil. To give a perfect example, about ten years ago my wife wanted one of those blue denim coats with a white fur collar that was fashionable in the usa. Could we get one here. You bet we couldn,t not even on line. On holiday in New York you could get everything you wanted virtually in the first store you went in.  I do think in some respects things are better than they were about ten years ago, namelly with shoes. It had got to a point where you could not get mens shoes, just trainers. In fact shops stopped saying they sold shoes at one point, because they were all trainers they started advertising footwear.