Debenhams goes into Administration

52 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

I'd agree with that Maka, but that's not what WiseOwl claimed.

Primark clothes can indeed be used for the garden, it's true. They can also be used for other places too. 

On 19/04/2019 at 06:07, redruby said:

I like some of Debenhams merchandise and shop in there quite regularly. However, after a frankly ridiculous display by their ‘security’ staff on the Moor this week they are just driving their business into the ground making a good customer like me feel like a criminal! I picked a couple of online orders up the other day and had a quick look around on my way out. I spotted a couple of items that I thought I would come back for later in the week. I am very busy at work and didn’t have time on my short lunch break to browse sedately or buy them on that day (perhaps that made me ‘suspicious’ for the undercover wannabe cops🙄 ) Anyway calling in the next day, I was obviously marked out and followed by three, yes, three undercover security staff!! I am just an office worker, that is good customer buying stuff and I don’t appreciate this. I ignored them, even the guy who stationed himself on door on my way out (after BUYING the things I came in for!!!) but I’m not sure I’ll be going back in a hurry. Come on Debenhams, get a grip and stop employing numpties who have watched one too many episodes of police, camera, action!!!

I can assure you that Debenhams on the Moor has no undercover security staff. All security is in uniform. Whoever followed you obviously thought you potential pickings for having your bags nicked once outside.

2 hours ago, spilldig said:

Well as I understand it we are not allowed to name retailers on the forum in a derogatory way, so I can't name and shame, as it were, but unless the situation has changed very recently. I mean from about two years ago. For a long time, many years in fact, I have noticed in American films that things like coats always seem to be far better than ours. Some very good clothes also in places like China, Japan, Brazil. To give a perfect example, about ten years ago my wife wanted one of those blue denim coats with a white fur collar that was fashionable in the usa. Could we get one here. You bet we couldn,t not even on line. On holiday in New York you could get everything you wanted virtually in the first store you went in.  I do think in some respects things are better than they were about ten years ago, namelly with shoes. It had got to a point where you could not get mens shoes, just trainers. In fact shops stopped saying they sold shoes at one point, because they were all trainers they started advertising footwear.

You're obviously allowed to say that you don't like the clothes from somewhere if you wish.  That's not derogatory, it's a personal opinion.

I don't have to wear shoes for work and haven't for a long time, so I can't say that I've been shoe shopping very much.

I did buy a pair of boots (suited and booted style, not dock martins or working boots) and a pair of wedding shoes a few years back from HoF, so I don't think they've ever been impossible to buy.

If I remember correctly there's a shop in Broomhill that ONLY sells smart shoes for men, highly recommended I believe.

Yes, I am pleased to say that the shoe situation has got better over the last 10 years or so. It did seem at one point to be nothing but trainers.