Debenhams goes into Administration

18 hours ago, Mister M said:

It is very sad....However I don't think it's the total end. Shopping centres in places like Sheffield  might have to have fewer shops, but a wider range of non retail aspects to them. This is happening now of course with more student accommodation in the centre. Also the addition of the National Video Game museum is a welcome addition, but apart from its opening there hasn't been much fanfare about this of late.... 

I haven't heard about this aspect, sounds interesting and important. Do you have a link to an article or anything?

7 hours ago, tzijlstra said:

Debenhams have been ripping concessions off for years and years and that was basically the business plan. No innovation, no embracing the future, so due to take a hit, but it will be the concessionaries that suffer most I'd say.

That was the opinion of alot of people in the news recently, bungling management had set it up to fail and this was the year the house of cards finally fell.

No doubt the same buffoons who drove it into the ground were drawing a handsome pay cheque and enjoying a generous pension scheme.

So who hired the bungling management?  The board of directors presumably.  None of whom would want to lose their jobs or investments and all of whom (and in fact the managers as well) will have extensive backgrounds in successful retail.

So did they all suddenly become bungling and put a multi million £ business into the ground?  Or have fundamental things in the retail space changed in a way that they couldn't cope with or anticipate.  Which is more likely?

Consider that question on the back of House of Frazer, Woolworths and all the other struggling high street chains, did the management of all of them suddenly become incompetent after sometimes >century of a profitable business?

Well it takes a certain level of bungling to be in the black one year then half a billion in the red the next. It's not exactly captain of industry material. They literally fell off a cliff edge.

10 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Debenhams operates in retail outlets as well, the Meadowhall store is larger than the one on the moor.

Yes they do but perhaps the high st versions just do not attract- as per the reasons given.

On 10/04/2019 at 10:05, davyboy said:

Walk into our local (large) Debenham store and you are lucky if you see more than a dozen customers.

I wanted some perfume for my wife, the assistant could hardly be bothered to serve me so I went somewhere else.

Have to agree about service at the Moor store.   (Not been to Meadowhall for years as I can't stand the place, so don't know what happens there.)    Have to say that I prefer John Lewis's , which does seem considerably more customer friendly and therefore my first choice.

Stores such as Debenhams, House of Fraser, John Lewis are too expensive for Chavs and such like.  And thats majority type of people in this country.  SADLY! :roll:

On 10/04/2019 at 15:53, Cyclone said:

So who hired the bungling management?  The board of directors presumably.  None of whom would want to lose their jobs or investments and all of whom (and in fact the managers as well) will have extensive backgrounds in successful retail.

So did they all suddenly become bungling and put a multi million £ business into the ground?  Or have fundamental things in the retail space changed in a way that they couldn't cope with or anticipate.  Which is more likely?

Consider that question on the back of House of Frazer, Woolworths and all the other struggling high street chains, did the management of all of them suddenly become incompetent after sometimes >century of a profitable business?

They had not been doing very well for quite some time, cash had been tight since the early 2000's when someone thought it'd be a good idea to sell off property they owned and then lease it back.

Made a quick buck in the short term but long term it was just a mounting bill.

High price has driven alot of people away, they offer alot of brands that are somewhat past best, shoppers aren't interested and don't see them as value for money.

They should have realised this some time ago and brought in newer more interesting names to entice shoppers through the door.

A couple of years ago they took on a new CEO to try and turn the company around as it had clearly stagnated.

Suffice to say he failed and things went south.

Edited by geared

Personally I'd say that systemic factors are the underlying cause.

Look at the competitors, HoF went bust not long ago.  M&S announced store closures.  John Lewis is only hanging on because it has a large stake in Ocado which is doing very well.

I like some of Debenhams merchandise and shop in there quite regularly. However, after a frankly ridiculous display by their ‘security’ staff on the Moor this week they are just driving their business into the ground making a good customer like me feel like a criminal! I picked a couple of online orders up the other day and had a quick look around on my way out. I spotted a couple of items that I thought I would come back for later in the week. I am very busy at work and didn’t have time on my short lunch break to browse sedately or buy them on that day (perhaps that made me ‘suspicious’ for the undercover wannabe cops🙄 ) Anyway calling in the next day, I was obviously marked out and followed by three, yes, three undercover security staff!! I am just an office worker, that is good customer buying stuff and I don’t appreciate this. I ignored them, even the guy who stationed himself on door on my way out (after BUYING the things I came in for!!!) but I’m not sure I’ll be going back in a hurry. Come on Debenhams, get a grip and stop employing numpties who have watched one too many episodes of police, camera, action!!!

It doesn't surprise me that Debenhams are going down the pan.

It must be about 5 years since I last went into any of their branches because previous to that, almost everytime I went in, I came out without buying anything.  In the end I gave up.

On 19/04/2019 at 06:07, redruby said:

I like some of Debenhams merchandise and shop in there quite regularly. However, after a frankly ridiculous display by their ‘security’ staff on the Moor this week they are just driving their business into the ground making a good customer like me feel like a criminal! I picked a couple of online orders up the other day and had a quick look around on my way out. I spotted a couple of items that I thought I would come back for later in the week. I am very busy at work and didn’t have time on my short lunch break to browse sedately or buy them on that day (perhaps that made me ‘suspicious’ for the undercover wannabe cops🙄 ) Anyway calling in the next day, I was obviously marked out and followed by three, yes, three undercover security staff!! I am just an office worker, that is good customer buying stuff and I don’t appreciate this. I ignored them, even the guy who stationed himself on door on my way out (after BUYING the things I came in for!!!) but I’m not sure I’ll be going back in a hurry. Come on Debenhams, get a grip and stop employing numpties who have watched one too many episodes of police, camera, action!!!

Unless they physically stop your path or grab you by the elbows when you try to leave I don't understand how you have "been made you feel like criminal"

I doubt I would barely notice if any security stuff were following me and if you have done nothing wrong why are you so concerned.  

They are paid to monitor. They are paid to look out for anything suspicious.  Perhaps you are right, after your actions last time you were in the store maybe they did inadvertently single you out.  

Does it really matter? 

If I go into a jewellery shop the assistant is watching me like a hawk from the moment I step inside.  If I go into a posh boutique on Bond Street the doorman watches me every step of the way until he opens the door and lets me leave.

Personally I don't get bothered by it and feel you are completely overreacting.

Edited by ECCOnoob