Harley Hotel gone?

They put on a lot of good bands, so it's a shame it's gone from that point of view.

But it was a terrible place to see a band. Unless you were in the 10 people at the front you couldn't see whoever was playing due to the crowd and all the pillars in the way. So it didn't sound great either.

As a pub it wasn't much cop either. Bad beer and smelled of chips.

I hope they make a better venue in the new place.

It was definitely due a refurb, grotty place.

On 09/04/2019 at 12:14, scentral said:

According to this.

Lol, how long has to pass for a music venue to be called 'historic'? Ten, twenty years?

It was a knocking shop long before then. That's historic.  :)

I liked it. Funny old mess of a place. Looked like a grotty rock pub but seemed to have lots of club / urban type stuff on quite often.

Guest makapaka

It was awful towards the end.

it smelled bad as you walked in. The toilets were a disgrace.

the hotel had an awful reputation.

hopefullt someone takes it on and tidies it up a bit.

Yes  you kind of expect a place like that not to be perfect but their standards made it a no go for me am afraid.Pretty sure the hotel was featured in a worst hotel feature a few years ago.

When did it become a pub and what was it before? I have a vague recollection it wasn't that long ago (maybe 20 years or less?) and it wasn't anything that was open to the public before that. Is that right?

It's a good location for a pub you would think. So I hope it can stay as a pub and improve.

Yes I think there is a market round there for a more upmarket music venue not  just aimed at students featuring local bands charging a bit more but  with good beer and higher standards.

On 16/04/2019 at 11:35, Bilge said:

When did it become a pub and what was it before? I have a vague recollection it wasn't that long ago (maybe 20 years or less?) and it wasn't anything that was open to the public before that. Is that right?

It's a good location for a pub you would think. So I hope it can stay as a pub and improve.

I think it was an education building, possibly owned by Sheffield University, before.  But I'm not certain.  It  certainly wasn't a bar when I was out on the scene in the late 1970's.

I understand that in the 1980s??  it used to put on very expensive jazz sessions. Some kind of Sheffield "Ronnie Scotts". I know someone who used to go and he says he used to spend hundreds of pounds there and could not have afforded to go nowadays. I recall it was on several times a week.