What retailers think of Sheffield City Centre

Sheffield ranks in 10th! 🙄

From Wealthy Urbanites to Borderline Poverty - The Consumer League Table

4_shoppers-2JPG.jpg

The 2019 HDH Vitality Index looks at the country’s retail sector and contains a wealth of fascinating information about the way business see the population.

It breaks the nation down into 10 “shopper segments” which reveal what sort of consumer lives where, and what they spend their cash on. Here is a snapshot:

Wealthy Shoppers

1 Wealthy Urbanites (As and Bs, average salary £70,000)

“Education levels are very high, and people are either employed in well-paid

professional jobs or do not need to work due to family or accumulated wealth.

They are early adopters of technology and fashion trends and have the money to afford being at the cutting edge.

They live in Kensington, Chelsea, Knightsbridge and Notting Hill Gate and shop at Selfridges.

2 Maturing Affluence (As and Bs, average salary £60,000)

Mature couples, often with grown-up children, in high-ranking roles in large

organisations, or with their own companies, or rich retirees, their tastes are conservative. They live in Guildford, Tunbridge Wells, Epsom, Bath, and Berkhamsted and spend at John Lewis and M&S.

3 Prosperous Families (As and Bs, £50,000)

Families with young children, adults in senior positions in white- and blue-collar firms, children influence their spending on technology, large cars and new retail trends. Found in Salisbury, Thame, Bury St Edmunds, Grantham, and Harrogate, they shop at Jigsaw and Mint Velvet.

Mid-affluence Shoppers

4 Settled in Suburbia (A, B and C1, £42,000)

These folk live in medium-sized to large detached or semi-detached homes in pleasant suburban neighbourhoods, vote Tory and read the Daily Mail. Denizens of Ruislip, Clacton-on-Sea, Maidstone, and Potters Bar they frequent Holland & Barrett, Debenhams and Lakeland.

5 Mixed Neighbourhoods (B, C1 and C2, £34,000)

Relatively securely employed, in mid-range white- and blue-collar jobs, levels of wealth are just above the average. They live in Glasgow, Plymouth, Birmingham, Leicester, and shop at The Body Shop, Next and Gap.

6 Average Families (C1, C2 and D, £26,000)

Found in less affluent suburban areas, often in functional semi-detached or terraced properties, earning just enough money to meet essential needs, such as utility bills and groceries. Educational attainment is slightly lower and “mid-market papers will direct many of their views”. Prevalent in Coventry, Swansea, Torquay, Swindon, Hastings, where they shop at Mothercare, Argos and Asda.

7 Students and Graduates (B, C1, £22,000)

Young singles in inner-city areas, near universities or in districts of cheaper housing. Levels of affluence are relatively low: students are usually not in employment, and the recent graduates are just starting out in their career - often with a large debt to pay. But they spend “well beyond their means” and are at the cutting edge of trends. Commonly found in Bristol: Clifton, Leeds: Headingley, and Oxford: Headington. They frequent Zara, Lush and Urban Outfitters.

Least Affluent Shoppers

8 Struggling Workers (C1, C2, D, £18,000)

Found in poorer city suburbs and towns, in smaller terraced or semi-detached units, often ex-council houses, predominantly mortgaged or rented. Poorly qualified, in low paying jobs, they use public transport and wear tracksuits. Found in Tottenham, Leyton, Burnley,

Stratford, Mansfield, and Corby, they buy from Iceland, TK Maxx, Sports Direct, and Greggs.

9 Poorer Families (C1, C2, D, £12,000)

They live in poor-quality, often rented, housing mostly in northern England and Scotland. Poorly qualified they work in menial, low-paid jobs, and often have large families, with stay-at-home mums. Common in Colne, Bradford, Luton, Blackburn, Braehead, where they shop at Peacocks, BrightHouse and Wilkinson.

10 Borderline Poverty (C2, D, E, £9,500)

These people tend to be “on the breadline”, struggling to meet bill payments and pay for essentials such as food. Qualification levels are very low and unemployment rates are significant. Single parents are more common, the majority of people will be claiming some form of means-tested benefit. Poverty has taken hold, with residents often taking solace in fast food, gambling and alcohol. Pawnbrokers and loan companies are also widespread in these areas. Opinions will be “guided by lower end newspapers and media”. Typical areas include Jarrow, Sheffield, East Kilbride, Rhyl, and Toxteth, where people visit The Money Shop, Bargain Booze, Oxfam, Ladbrokes and McDonald’s.

@chris 101 - I agree totally, and anyone who believes that tosh must need further education.

It would be beneficial for the OP to give the source of this seemingly childish 'report'

Edited by RollingJ
Addition

10th out of how many? Would be useful to know.

Meadowhall is ranked 23rd out of the 1000 shopping centres in this study. The 10 types below are just shopper segments.

Is the income per individual or per family/household?

6 minutes ago, Mister M said:

10th out of how many? Would be useful to know.

Looks very much like it's 10th out of 10 since he says that it breaks the country down into 10 shopper segments.

The Harper Dennis Hobbs site, which I assume is where this amazing piece of research originates, fills me with total confidence - not!

It looks like and sounds like a one-man band, and to be honest, I'd give it as much credence as a report saying the moon was made of cream cheese.

38 minutes ago, metalman said:

Looks very much like it's 10th out of 10 since he says that it breaks the country down into 10 shopper segments.

No it isn't saying that. It's saying that the 10th ranked shopper segment can be found in places such as Sheffield.

Here's the actual document.

http://hdh.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/2019-Vitality-Index-White-Paper.pdf

Edited by WiseOwl182

587 stores in the centre of Cambridge ? Then I'll eat my  hat !

South Yorkshire is the 5th poorest region in  Northern Europe so it should be no surprise that Sheffield has an over-representation of the poorest segment.

Many of the poorest regions are in the U.K, 9 out of the top 10 I believe so there will be plenty of other cities on the list with us.

I have been in retail working for various large businesses over the past 27 years and although I hope for the best for the city centre it isn’t going to be saved by retail developments.

Much more important to build homes and offices in my opinion if we want a vibrant city centre in the years to come.

40 minutes ago, St Petre said:

587 stores in the centre of Cambridge ? Then I'll eat my  hat !

Me too!😀

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

The Harper Dennis Hobbs site, which I assume is where this amazing piece of research originates, fills me with total confidence - not!

It looks like and sounds like a one-man band, and to be honest, I'd give it as much credence as a report saying the moon was made of cream cheese.

Don't know which pages you were looking at but 5 minutes following the link and browsing around shows it's been established over 20 years, works internationally, has about 50 employees/partners and clients have included B&O, Starbucks, Barclays bank, Jimmy Choo, and JS sports. On the other hand, they do appear to be a turbo charged commercial estate agents!