Sign in to follow this  

Waiting for cache

4 hours ago, probedb said:

It's amusing that the powers that be have added a certain method of blocking ads as a filtered word. It is possible to turn it off on whichever sites you want to.

Anyways, as zach said, could be a general hdd issue. What drive are you using? What size? If you can afford to, might be worth replacing or swapping for an SSD, they are really cheap these days.

I'd not noticed that most evil term was replaced with asterisk!  Very petty IMO but their forum, their rules.

Thanks for the replies I will look at crystal disk and try that. I didn't use the laptop for over a year as it kept shutting down, I got a new one and used that and then had problems with it took it back and got a refund. So I took all the files off this one, all my music, pictures and office files along with the family tree software. After I did this the laptop hardly ever switches off and just does it occasionally now.

The general speed isn't too bad it seems to have improved after I ran the Chrome reset, apart from it keeps saying not responding.

The HD is 320GB and there is just under 200GB of free space

I have just run the CrystalDisk software and the Health Status says caution and a temp of 42.

The list of attributes all have a blue dot at the side apart from.

• Current pending sector count. Current 150 worst 150 Threshold 140
  • Reallocated sectors count .  Current 200 worst 200 Threshold 0

Those two have a yellow dot at the side of them.

Tried to copy the image of the test and paste it in but won't let me.

Edited by iansheff

It looks like the harddrive is failing, I would backup all your files as soon as you can and replace it with a SSD.

240GB SSD's are around £45 for an ok spec one at the moment.

You could try upgrading to Windows 10 first on the old drive, then you don't have the activation problem. Then do a clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD and reinstall your programs and copy your data back across.

Windows 7 support ends on 14 January 2020 BTW.

You have a backup of all your files right?

16 hours ago, Cyclone said:

You have a backup of all your files right?

Yes always back my files up, if it is the HD going then will probably get a new laptop it is about 7 years old. Only thing is I have MS Office 2010 on and would hate losing that.

Edited by iansheff

Yeah, it is the HDD, CrystalDiskInfo confirmed it - i'd replace ASAP...

If you need a hand getting anything from that one to a new one, or anything else.... there's many of us on here who could assist :)

Thanks  everyone for the information, help and advice, is it the sectors part of the info from CrystalDisk that shows it is failing?

I have  just run it again and got lower than yesterday.

Current pending sector count. Current 147 worst 147 Threshold 140

Reallocated sectors are ones that have failed and been marked out of use.  If there are 200 then the entire drive is probably on its last legs.

The delay on reading the cache is probably a symptom as well.

Well this morning switched it on and got message saying put boot up disk in so found the back up disks and put them in to see what happens. If not off to pc world later.

Well put the disks in but not done anything says no bootable device as it did when I switched it on this morning. So it is off to pc world for a new one.

Edited by iansheff

Check your BIOS settings, it's almost certainly set not to try booting from the disk you put in.

But the fact is that if you boot it from an installation disk it won't really help you, the drive has had some fundamental sector go bad, it could be the boot record itself, it could just be a vital file for windows that is damaged.

If you can run a repair it might be sorted out, but the only point to that would be to then make a complete backup before it happens again.  The drive is clearly ready for the bin.

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Check your BIOS settings, it's almost certainly set not to try booting from the disk you put in.

But the fact is that if you boot it from an installation disk it won't really help you, the drive has had some fundamental sector go bad, it could be the boot record itself, it could just be a vital file for windows that is damaged.

If you can run a repair it might be sorted out, but the only point to that would be to then make a complete backup before it happens again.  The drive is clearly ready for the bin.

Thanks I bit the bullet and got a new laptop yesterday.