Sign in to follow this  

Waiting for cache

My laptop keeps slowing when I open a web page and at the bottom left of the screen it says waiting for cache, after a few seconds it is then fine. I am running Windows 7 home premium and using Chrome as my browser, the laptop has 6gb ram and other than the occasional shut down is fine. I have run WinUtilities and also run CCleaner both the free versions. I have also deleted all the history and defragged the laptop and cleaned up disc space using system tools, anyone any idea why it keeps saying waiting for cache and how I can stop it? It never used to do this it is only last couple of weeks since it started.

try resetting chrome to defaults first - or run it in "incognito" mode for a few minutes and see if you still have the issue (this runs with no addons/plugins and you will need to sign into any website needed when using incognito mode)

1. At the top right, click the More and then Settings.
  2. At the bottom, click Advanced.
  3. Under 'Reset and cleanup', click Reset Settings and then Reset Settings.
Edited by Ghozer

Cheers Ghozer will try that later on.

Thanks Ghozer, I just had the page open with the settings and did as you said, it was scanning for 2 hours before I went to bed, looked later and it had completed. Seems a lot better this morning, also before the blue LED for the HD seemed to be on all the time now it isn't.

Just to add.. Have you checked it for malware? If not download Malwarebytes free and do a scan.

Got Malwarebytes I run a scan every day. 

21 hours ago, iansheff said:

Thanks Ghozer, I just had the page open with the settings and did as you said, it was scanning for 2 hours before I went to bed, looked later and it had completed. Seems a lot better this morning, also before the blue LED for the HD seemed to be on all the time now it isn't.

Scanning?  Are you saying that it took 2 hrs to reset Chrome to the defaults, or does scanning refer to something else?

3 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Scanning?  Are you saying that it took 2 hrs to reset Chrome to the defaults, or does scanning refer to something else?

I mean it was running for over 2 hours  when I left it running to reset to Chrome defaults no idea how long it took because it was another 3 hours before checked and it was finished then. 

2 hours ago, probedb said:

It's not this old chestnut is it? https://restoreprivacy.com/chrome-scanning-files/

No idea it seemed better yesterday but getting the cache message again and at the top saying not responding, then it is ok after a short period of time.

It is also saying establishing secure connection  after saying waiting for cache in a white box at the bottom.

Edited by iansheff

What's the general system speed like Ian?

I'm just wondering if the HDD is on it's way out or a bit of an upgrade needed. Also, if you're running *******, it might be worth running a manual update of the filters and restarting the browser.

It's amusing that the powers that be have added a certain method of blocking ads as a filtered word. It is possible to turn it off on whichever sites you want to.

Anyways, as zach said, could be a general hdd issue. What drive are you using? What size? If you can afford to, might be worth replacing or swapping for an SSD, they are really cheap these days.

a HDD issue was going to be the next thing I suggested...

You could download CrystalDiskInfo, and see if it's all ok :) - it will give you a warning the first time you open it if there's a problem with your HDD...