RIP, Bernie Tormé

Only heard today that an old pal of mine, Bernie Tormé, died last month. 

He'd been suffering from double pneumonia.

We'd lost touch too many years ago, so the news has come as a complete surprise.
A brilliant guitarist and a lovely bloke to boot.

RIP, mate...

No way!

He was on a BBC Four documentary about the history of Irish rock music just a couple of weeks ago! ☘ 🎸

RIP.

He died on Paddy's Day according to the internet! 

Edited by Top Cats Hat

17 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

Only heard today that an old pal of mine, Bernie Tormé, died last month. 

He'd been suffering from double pneumonia.

We'd lost touch too many years ago, so the news has come as a complete surprise.
A brilliant guitarist and a lovely bloke to boot.

RIP, mate...

Was he the one who played with Ozzy Osbourne ? I can remember seeing them at the City Hall with some big bald bassist with a moustache, in a different lifetime.....

Edited by Justin Smith

4 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

Was he the one who played with Ozzy Osbourne ? I can remember seeing them at the City Hall with some big bald bassist with a moustache, in a different lifetime.....

Yes, for a while, but in my opinion he shone when with Gillan. The big bald guy will have been John McCoy.

I saw that Gillan Mr Universe tour, with Bernie Torme, John McCoy, Colin Towns on keyboards and Mick Underwood on drums. Great stuff. I have a vague feeling that NWOBHM-ers Samson were the support.

Am I getting confused between the Ozzy Osbourne tour and the Gillan tour ? I saw both at the City Hall.

20 hours ago, metalman said:

I saw that Gillan Mr Universe tour, with Bernie Torme, John McCoy, Colin Towns on keyboards and Mick Underwood on drums. Great stuff. I have a vague feeling that NWOBHM-ers Samson were the support.

They were keeping it "in the family" , as it were. Gillan himself owned Kingsway Recorders at the time, and Paul Samson and crew recorded there. Both outfits used the in-house engineers, Chas Watkins and Bob Broglia, so it made sense to all tour together. The Sweet were also regular studio users at the time, but were actually frustrated rockers - what you heard and saw on ToTP was the commercial side of them that the record company wanted you to see....

12 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

Am I getting confused between the Ozzy Osbourne tour and the Gillan tour ? I saw both at the City Hall.

The scary bass player description gives the game away, I think! Unless Osbourne's bassist happened to be bald at the time, Gillan's your answer!