Light switches wiring diagram required

5 hours ago, Johny87 said:

I've attached another picture with one of the switches.

https://ibb.co/0DkSZxh

Did you wire that? If so then I'm sorry to say I would seriously pay for an electrician to do the work.

2 minutes ago, apelike said:

Did you wire that? If so then I'm sorry to say I would seriously pay for an electrician to do the work.

That image didn't render for me before but looking at it now it seems that you have the earth wires (yellow wires) connected to the common connectors rather than to the earth bond connector on the left of the picture.

The 'common' wires are not earth wires but the ones running from one switch to the other so they will be one of the red wires if wired as would be expected. 

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure that giving advice on electrical wiring on the internet is actually that good an idea.

Thank you for advice. I haven't wire them up, one friend of mine did. I was sure they are not right as yes yellow wires are earth and they should go to earth terminal on the switch. Yesterday i took the switch off. This could lead to shortcut probably so i will not touch it until i will fix it as light switch fixture is metalic. bast_rd.

But look at the wiring again, so both yellow wires are on COM, so it seems that yellow wires are LIVE wires??? Really confused. As basically the other red ones are on L1 and L2. Does this makes any logic? How power comes through it then? lol

Also can one of you guys explain detailed of what you think the wires are and from where or where they go: 2 blue wires, 4 red wires

https://ibb.co/TcXQ40V

Edited by Johny87

1 hour ago, Johny87 said:

Thank you for advice. I haven't wire them up, one friend of mine did. I was sure they are not right as yes yellow wires are earth and they should go to earth terminal on the switch. Yesterday i took the switch off. This could lead to shortcut probably so i will not touch it until i will fix it as light switch fixture is metalic. bast_rd.

But look at the wiring again, so both yellow wires are on COM, so it seems that yellow wires are LIVE wires??? Really confused. As basically the other red ones are on L1 and L2. Does this makes any logic? How power comes through it then? lol

Also can one of you guys explain detailed of what you think the wires are and from where or where they go: 2 blue wires, 4 red wires

https://ibb.co/TcXQ40V

Why do you think the yellow wires are earth wires. It's just old three core and earth cable, red yellow blue and earth, very commonly used in two way switching for lighting.

First job is to ignore any advice about testing it live with a neon screwdriver.

Then, find the earth core in all the cables coming into the backboxes. Sleeve them green and yellow and connect to faceplate and link to backbox. Those yellow cores arent it. If it's been snipped off then you need to replace those cables.

Edited by Bargepole23

YELLOW wires on two way circuits are referred to as the switching wire and are one of the wires in 4 core cables.

If you do decide to get a sparky in, just get a sensible quote not the £250 guy.

Edited by Janus

Were the switches working ok before they were changed or did you have the switches and wiring put in? 

23 minutes ago, Janus said:

YELLOW wires on two way circuits are referred to as the switching wire and are one of the wires in 4 core cables.

If you do decide to get a sparky in, just get a sensible quote not the £250 guy.

As a sparky, and looking at the state of the job in that photo, I wouldn't take that on for 250 quid. Nothing worse than sorting something where someone's mate 'had a go at it' and ballsed it up

I think just 1-2 wires are on wrong place, as light's are working when switching them on. The only thing is that i can turn both lights on, individual from first switch for example, but moving to the other side of the room if i press first button on switch, there's nothing happening. If i press the second button, one of the lights is switching off. Pressing the first button down and the second one up both light's are swithing off. So i need to switch random possition of both switches in the room, until i find the correct possition  for them to be on or off.

Edited by Johny87

Find your incoming live from the ceiling rose to the switches. It's hopefully going to be red or brown...

That goes to the side of the switch with a single terminal...

The other side takes two wires, which go to the two terminal end on the opposite switch on the other side of the kitchen...

The single side from that is the switched live to the ceiling rose that goes to the lights.

Repeat as for the other set of switches and lights.

52 minutes ago, Obelix said:

Find your incoming live from the ceiling rose to the switches. It's hopefully going to be red or brown...

That goes to the side of the switch with a single terminal...

The other side takes two wires, which go to the two terminal end on the opposite switch on the other side of the kitchen...

The single side from that is the switched live to the ceiling rose that goes to the lights.

Repeat as for the other set of switches and lights.

Assuming of course that the looping is done via the ceiling roses.

Hopefully and assuming are poor ways to work with electricity.

OP, get an electrician. Nothing wrong with not knowing what to do.

Then it will be done correctly and safely.

Will see what i can do by myself. If not, then i will call an electrician. But hopefully i will get is sorted out.