Can you make an .iso out of a complete install?

Hi, I'm thinking of creating an .iso of Windows and all installed apps to external hard drive and use it in Virtual Box - is this feasible? I know I could use a search engine for this but I'm a little mentally exhausted with everything at present!

Edited by swarfendor437
explanation

My in house techie, who has tried all sorts of unusual stuff, has never tried it with Windows and doesn't know whether it's possible, so there's no definite answer here I'm afraid.

Guess I'll give it a go with imgburn - I'll post back in due course. ;)

Microsoft has tools (Windows AIK and ImageX) to do this, but you have to be using a Volume License edition of Windows. 

Sorry, ignore my last post, I should have read your post fully before replying.

You can absolutely do what you're asking. It's called Physical to Virtual (although it creates the VDI which you load up directly in VirtualBox, rather than a bootable ISO, although you do need the Windows install source as either an ISO or physical media).

See here.

Edited by Lastnet IT

Hi, yeah we do that all the time I think only we call it a .img file used for back ups.  wether or not you can add to a vd is another matter. I have only ever added single files, saying that when you add another o/s on a vd you then add other apps to it so I can't see why not

I was mainly thinking of doing this sooner rather than later as once support ends there will be no access to updates if installed with original disc which I have done with a 32-bit edition on FerenOS. It would just make life so easier to have everything as is without installing all the apps etc. Will take a look in time. Thanks for all the responses.

Looks like you can convert img to vdi:

https://www.ostechnix.com/how-to-convert-img-file-to-vdi-file-using-oracle-virtualbox/

Edited by swarfendor437
update

I would assume there will be a 'final' update package you are able to download, even after auto updates no longer work...

You can still download all the XP updates and Service Packs from the update catalog...