Repair of criminal damage in block of flats

I am a leaseholder of a flat in a block of 9. I pay service charges for repairs to communal areas. Recently the lock on the block's outer security door was ripped out, the council replaced it, and the next day it was torn out again.  This could become a running saga of destroy/replace/destroy etc. Would a leaseholder still have to pay a portion of the costs of such repairs? (I could ask the council but I don't want to put ideas in their head)

I don`t think there is anything to gain by asking the council. If they intend billing you and the other leaseholders the bill will arrive without asking. Best thing is to hope that they don`t bill you, but challenge it if they do bill you.

You may want to consider notifying the police as it is not a one-off crime of vandalism.

Edited by Janus

10 hours ago, Janus said:

You may want to consider notifying the police as it is not a one-off crime of vandalism.

Unfortunately criminal damage is no longer investigated if it wasn't witnessed or covered by CCTV.

I was thinking about obtaining the crime ref numbers for every time it happens.

I would imagine if the same incident keeps happening they may eventually give it some attention, even though way down their list of priorities.

On 05/04/2019 at 11:02, Minimo said:

I am a leaseholder of a flat in a block of 9. I pay service charges for repairs to communal areas. Recently the lock on the block's outer security door was ripped out, the council replaced it, and the next day it was torn out again.  This could become a running saga of destroy/replace/destroy etc. Would a leaseholder still have to pay a portion of the costs of such repairs? (I could ask the council but I don't want to put ideas in their head)

I take it that the Council own the freehold reversion and are your landlords?

Is the property insurance through the Council or independent; and has anyone consulted the insurer for advice?

Cost of repairs (if not claimed through insurance which is unlikely for low cost repairs) will be covered by the service charge.  The service charge may increase if annual outgoings are higher than income on a regular basis. 

If its council though, they will probably just foot the repair bill for small items

True, although the cost of any repairs needed because of a specific tenant's acts or omissions might fall on that tenant- not on the service charge payable by all.

Thank you all for your replies. It is now June and the repair has still not been done. I will be approaching one of the local councillors again.