Hillsborough verdict

Vaati

The next person to start victim blaming or anything similar will be suspended. and the thread closed. Posts have already been removed for it.

Message added by Vaati

It was a very very different world back then and Health & Safety was certainly not at the top of the agenda, football fans were all tarnished with the hooligan brush and treated like cattle.

I think there are others far more culpable than Mr Mackrell in this terrible tragedy.

11 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

It was a very very different world back then and Health & Safety was certainly not at the top of the agenda, football fans were all tarnished with the hooligan brush and treated like cattle.

I think there are others far more culpable than Mr Mackrell in this terrible tragedy.

I agree - much of the judgement appears to based on today's standards - as if the tragedy had happened last year, not nearly 30 years ago.

I recall an earlier thread on here (more than 10 years ago) where an article had said lives could have been saved if ambulance paramedics could have attended earlier. This was a few years before there were any paramedics in the ambulance service. It wasn't like "Casualty" in those days.

And yes - I remember being penned in at away matches when 3/4 of the terrace was empty and "out of bounds" - simply for the convenience of the police and nothing to do with safety of the fans.

Edited by Longcol

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Longcol said:

I agree - much of the judgement appears to based on today's standards - as if the tragedy had happened last year, not nearly 30 years ago.

I recall an earlier thread on here (more than 10 years ago) where an article had said lives could have been saved if ambulance paramedics could have attended earlier. This was a few years before there were any paramedics in the ambulance service. It wasn't like "Casualty" in those days.

And yes - I remember being penned in at away matches when 3/4 of the terrace was empty and "out of bounds" - simply for the convenience of the police and nothing to do with safety of the fans.

I’ll informed rubbish. Read the findings of the inquiry.

1 hour ago, Brooker11 said:

I agree - the senior  policeman in charge  at the time.

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

Me too.

One of the things highlighted at the trial was the "lack of turnstiles" at the Leppings Lane end. If memory serves Leppings Lane was at the time one of the better served "away ends" in terms of the number of turnstiles. Visited Anfield a couple of times in the 80's with a couple of mates from Liverpool and stood on the Kop - don't remember a huge number of turnstiles and they were all in one corner by the flagpole - plus you had to be in the ground by 2pm if you wanted a half decent spot.

Did you go to any fa cup semi finals at Anfield which when you were held up outside and in a crush situation allowed you to enter a side gate and then down a  tunnel that had a pen at the end that was already full? 

If you didnt it’s not really comparable is it?

Edited by makapaka

9 hours ago, Longcol said:

In the link I posted earlier this is covered.

The opinion is that lives could have been saved with a better emergency response plan. Like for instance getting Ambulances and trained staff into the ground instead of waiting outside like actually happened because there was an inadequate plan and response.

I'm going to close this thread because the content of what is being discussed may be covered by sub judice laws, since another trial is due to start in a few months.

Please don't start any other threads on this topic.