Strange powering up behaviour!

Case - CoolerMaster Silencio, Power Supply 550 W CoolerMaster Bronze, Processor Ryzen 7 1700X. Having browsed the internet there is a suggestion it could be overheating processor or failing power supply - but could it be a faulty power switch? It only happens on first boot - subsequent hard boot ups no problem. Basically, depress switch, power led lights and fans whir as if booting up - then sudden off then after 1-2 seconds the machine boots normally - my suspicion is PSU but just seeking second opinion (wornout switch?). Never experienced this behaviour before in all my years of computing experience - but there's a first for everything!

43 minutes ago, swarfendor437 said:

my suspicion is PSU but just seeking second opinion (wornout switch?)

Very unlikely to be a wornout switch.

Most half decent switches are rated for upwards of 100,000 cycles which means that they should be good for switching on and off every hour, 24 hours a day continuously for 12 years. Assuming that your case isn't 12 years old  it is much more likely to be the power supply especially as the problem seems to be on a cold start rather than reboots.

Sounds to me like something to do with the protection circuitry in the PSU.

2 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Very unlikely to be a wornout switch.

Most half decent switches are rated for upwards of 100,000 cycles which means that they should be good for switching on and off every hour, 24 hours a day continuously for 12 years. Assuming that your case isn't 12 years old  it is much more likely to be the power supply especially as the problem seems to be on a cold start rather than reboots.

Sounds to me like something to do with the protection circuitry in the PSU.

Yes I think it is 12 years old actually but I reckon it could do with a beefier psu. I'm looking to get 750 Watt Cooler Master Gold PSU. Thanks for replying. It's appreciated. 

Edited by swarfendor437
thanks

See if I have this right.

Push power then fans run for 1 to 2 seconds then stop, then it boots normally?

Although it could be the PSU, the 550 you have has plenty of power if you're still running the same GPU (Small Nvidia?}

Other things to check is BIOS settings, especially look at the RAM speed. The first gen Ryzen are very fussy with RAM. If the settings are high or XMP is enabled, it can cause the system to reset. This also would do the above.

Any other recent changes to the system? 

Hi Zach, No modifications to RAM settings I never OC. To me OC is like starting a 4-stroke motorcycle from cold and revving it up to the red line. I am only running 16 Gb Corsair RAM as recommended by you. in terms of speed. Graphics is a GT620 but considering getting a 1050Ti with 4Gb RAM so I can run Zorin 15 properly. I do have other hdds but only one connected plus bluray DVD-RW. Only other hardware change recently was a Creative Labs Audigy Rx Sound Card. 

Edited by swarfendor437
missing info

As zach says... Have you tried setting the bios to boot defaults? I had a similar problem with the MB auto overclocking my Ryzen CPU and it failing. It was OK for a while and then it would not boot first go but then booted OK after that. To overcome this I turned off the auto clock setting and used manual settings, but that may depend on the make of MB. Ryzen CPUs allow for a great deal of leeway with their CPU values when overclocking my 3.2 is happily running at 3.7 but that also may depend on what cooler is being used.

4 hours ago, swarfendor437 said:

Hi Zach, No modifications to RAM settings I never OC. To me OC is like starting a 4-stroke motorcycle from cold and revving it up to the red line. I am only running 16 Gb Corsair RAM as recommended by you. in terms of speed. Graphics is a GT620 but considering getting a 1050Ti with 4Gb RAM so I can run Zorin 15 properly. I do have other hdds but only one connected plus bluray DVD-RW. Only other hardware change recently was a Creative Labs Audigy Rx Sound Card. 

No mate, nothing to do with overclocking. I have DDR4 3200 RAM in my 1st gen Ryzen system and the RAM is capable of running at 3200, the system will not boot if set at these speeds. It causes the system to boot back to the default speed of the board, not the RAM. This gives the symptoms you mention in the first post. Like you, I never overclock!

The 1050Ti is also bus powered if I remember right. A 550 PSU would have no problem with that either. A good PSU is never wasted money and if you feel yours has had better days, go for a 750. If buying new I would be looking at that sort of power or above just so I was covered.

thanks everyone I'll let you know how I get on. Also does nVidia 410/418 drivers work with 1050Ti?

OK, loading defaults appears to have sorted it - I don't remember disabling DEPOP - can someone tell me what that is? It's an Asus X470-PRO Motherboard.

14 hours ago, swarfendor437 said:

OK, loading defaults appears to have sorted it - I don't remember disabling DEPOP - can someone tell me what that is? It's an Asus X470-PRO Motherboard.

I've never heard of it and had a very quick search with this answer...

"Pretty sure it's as silly as it sounds. A feature to remove the audio pops sometimes heard when plugging or unplugging audio devices from the 3.5 mm jack"

Not sure it will be that obvious.

All my boards are Gigabyte x470 and I can't see DEPOP on any of them, maybe it's an ASUS thing. There's plenty of useless settings on motherboards but it might be worth you going through and making sure your main settings are right. You should be able to save profiles if you decide to test. 

ASUS AMD motherboard have settings called D.O.C.P - Direct Over Clocking Profile which is used to take the XMP (Intel) timings from the memory stick and transfer them to an AMD compatible setting for the BIOS to read. It can be set to auto which I think is the default, D.O.C.P or D.O.C.P standard.

Edited by apelike

Well the problem resurrected itself. I'm beginning to suspect this:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/500359/efi-boot-partition-and-biosgrub-partition

In the alpha versions of Zorin 15 there was only mention of EFI but in the Beta it has been replaced by BIOS GRUB and I think this is where issues are getting unstuck - but I could be wrong. Makulu Lindoz whilst a bit more temperamental was a lot clearer, and even pointed out failures to install EFI during install - there doesn't even appear to be reference to EFI (ESP) in GParted of Zorin Beta. I have booted to BIOS today, selected default settings and on saving it reported no changes yet I'm getting the 2 second power up, off for 3 seconds then normal boot. Bring back DOS!  LOL!