Local election turnout

33 minutes ago, El Cid said:

and we have laws against discrimination; so that would imply its safer now.

That’s not what I mean, I am talking about the post-Trump, post-Brexit view that somehow politicians and journalists are fair game for physical attacks. 😢

44 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

That’s not what I mean, I am talking about the post-Trump, post-Brexit view that somehow politicians and journalists are fair game for physical attacks. 😢

I am not sure, left-wing Labour seems more vitriolic in their attitude, that causes antagonism against them; but not at the parish level.

22 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I am not sure, left-wing Labour seems more vitriolic in their attitude, that causes antagonism against them; but not at the parish level.

Are you seriously trying to say that politicians who are attacked were ‘asking for it?’

Does that include Jo Cox?

3 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Are you seriously trying to say that politicians who are attacked were ‘asking for it?’

Does that include Jo Cox?

There were MPs killed every few years in the 80s, Joe Cox was the first MP killing in 25 years, perhaps we are over-reacting?

13 hours ago, El Cid said:

I think you should look into what happened to Stocksbridge councillors, both Town and City, during the debates over the closure of the swimming baths. Death threats and the liberal use of dog excrement were two of the protesters' weapons.

Jess Phillips and Yvette Cooper are coming under some pretty nasty flak for their tactics in delaying Brexit.  

The abuse on Twitter is pretty dire. I can't see it being long before some old Leftie leaver goes further and does something nasty.

31 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Jess Phillips and Yvette Cooper are coming under some pretty nasty flak for their tactics in delaying Brexit.  

The abuse on Twitter is pretty dire. I can't see it being long before some old Leftie leaver goes further and does something nasty.

So should do we bring in more censorship, or do we bring those carrying out such offences to trail?

40 minutes ago, max said:

I think you should look into what happened to Stocksbridge councillors, both Town and City, during the debates over the closure of the swimming baths. Death threats and the liberal use of dog excrement were two of the protesters' weapons.

Back to Brexit, if our politicians are so out of touch, should we bring in more rules to allow them to be even more out of touch?

It seems most of the Labour candidates are mostly keeping their addresses private, whilst myself and the local independent party are proud to display our details.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

So should do we bring in more censorship, or do we bring those carrying out such offences to trail?

We don't need any censorship to deal with this as malicious communication, making death threats and encouraging others to do the same are all already illegal.

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

We don't need more censorship, we just need more action from those who just sit back and let it happen.

Look at Luciana Berger - who needed police protection when attending the Labour conference in Liverpool.

Who was she at risk from?  Right wing nutcases?  Nope, Corbyn supporters.

4 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

We don't need more censorship, we just need more action from those who just sit back and let it happen.

Look at Luciana Berger - who needed police protection when attending the Labour conference in Liverpool.

So withholding her address details would make zero difference. I have got the electoral roll for my own ward, with names and addresses on, so I could get to know where anyone lives.

I was just listening to the radio and one local councillor was describing the verbal abuse he has faced because of the anger whipped up over Brexit.

During the campaign, I don't remember a no deal option being a serious proposition; it's only since that hardliners in parliament and the press have campaigned for it have a small minority of members of the public rung radio talk shows to vent their spleen and get very angry.

I think this whipping up of anger will result in someone being seriously hurt. The BBC are reporting that a UKIP councillor said that people who voted remain "should face the death penalty", are "traitors" and that remain voters should be hanged, or attacked by gangs with "huge machetes".

Just stupid, really irresponsible.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-47824367

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

I was just listening to the radio and one local councillor was describing the verbal abuse he has faced because of the anger whipped up over Brexit.

During the campaign, I don't remember a no deal option being a serious proposition; it's only since that hardliners in parliament and the press have campaigned for it have a small minority of members of the public rung radio talk shows to vent their spleen and get very angry.

I think this whipping up of anger will result in someone being seriously hurt. The BBC are reporting that a UKIP councillor said that people who voted remain "should face the death penalty", are "traitors" and that remain voters should be hanged, or attacked by gangs with "huge machetes".

Just stupid, really irresponsible.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-47824367

She can't be a UKIP councillor.  Everyone knows UKIP are racist, don't like people with foreign names and are not white