Local election turnout

6 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Maybe start by being a parish councillor? 

I have thought about that in the past and people sometimes suggest I do it...but I think I am better on the outside, trying to live up to my principles, rather than sucked into a machine and moulded into an electable package.

It is bad enough that the world of work does that, but at least you are being paid for it.

Wouldn't it be terrible if that happened willingly in your own time? 

I have experimented with minor "public" office in the past...

Back in 92 I worked down south and rode my bike to work everyday.

I got very into the environmental scene and was even elected to the work environmental committee.

But it ended up as political greenwash...lots of earnest meetings about paper recycling bins, but no real financial commitment to build showers or make serious changes...

Also, what happened internationally in all those years at all those summits in far off exotic places?

Not much progress if we are honest.

A vast ego driven talking shop...

Where is the Dutch style cycle network that ultimately will need to be built?

Nowhere, because no one is prepared to stand up to the road lobby or take road space from angry motorists.

So in all that time I simply ride my bike and tried to do what I could.

I am not perfect, I have an (old) car, we have family holidays that have involved flying...but we also spend lots of time riding our bikes together and I am trying to pass on some principles to my kids...

Despite them complaining about it... 

I really think a lot of useful change can come from individuals at the bottom....in the face of Government and Political indifference.

There are many, many more cyclists on the roads these days and that is wonderful to see...but people did this, not Government.

1 hour ago, crazyhorse said:

I have thought about that in the past and people sometimes suggest I do it...but I think I am better on the outside, trying to live up to my principles, rather than sucked into a machine and moulded into an electable package.

It is bad enough that the world of work does that, but at least you are being paid for it.

Wouldn't it be terrible if that happened willingly in your own time? 

I have experimented with minor "public" office in the past...

Back in 92 I worked down south and rode my bike to work everyday.

I got very into the environmental scene and was even elected to the work environmental committee.

But it ended up as political greenwash...lots of earnest meetings about paper recycling bins, but no real financial commitment to build showers or make serious changes...

Also, what happened internationally in all those years at all those summits in far off exotic places?

Not much progress if we are honest.

A vast ego driven talking shop...

Nowhere, because no one is prepared to stand up to the road lobby or take road space from angry motorists.

So in all that time I simply ride my bike and tried to do what I could.

I am not perfect, I have an (old) car, we have family holidays that have involved flying...but we also spend lots of time riding our bikes together and I am trying to pass on some principles to my kids...

Despite them complaining about it... 

I really think a lot of useful change can come from individuals at the bottom....in the face of Government and Political indifference.

There are many, many more cyclists on the roads these days and that is wonderful to see...but people did this, not Government.

I think you’re over analysing the requirements for getting on a parish council. 

6 hours ago, crazyhorse said:

At least you tried, reality is often what people have to deal with, despite many believing in an idealistic world.

I am sure people will complain about councillors getting perks, real or otherwise.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

I am sure people will complain about councillors getting perks, real or otherwise.

I've known a few councillors over the years and believe me, most put in way more than they get out.

On 02/04/2019 at 16:25, El Cid said:

I have to write my next leaflet now, any tips?

Get someone to check the spelling on it.

How many will be helping you?

What local issues are important?

What was the turnout like last time - how many votes will you need?

On 04/04/2019 at 12:25, crazyhorse said:

It would also cost a shedload to flatten the hills to create a Dutch style landscape.

2 hours ago, Hopman said:

What was the turnout like last time - how many votes will you need?

Its a parish council election, so 400/500 votes will be enough, the electorate is 4532, the turnout will be around 30%, each voter gets 5 votes.

Is one of your planks going to be the lack of nursery places in the area? If so, don't bother with this when you visit the local care homes.

Do you have any supporters? If so, tell them what you want: "We need better nursery provision."

Then:

At a meeting in the ward last night, Independent candidate El Cid stressed the need for better nursery provision in the ward, and pledged that this would be one of his priorities if elected..

And then email this into your chosen local media.

I went to a meeting for candidates this morning, I was surprised to be told that it was a criminal offence not to submit a record of your spending.

Rather overkill when I and everyone else will probably spend less than £200

The main issue at the meeting was candidates disclosing/withholding their address, apparently, no one needs to know where their councillor lives, because it's not safe for them.

My address will be on the ballot paper, but around 50% seem to want to withhold it.

Given some of the recent events I don't blame them for not wanting to disclose it. 

Personally I don't see why the full exact details are necessary - surely the area they reside would be more than enough.    If a candidate has been described as resident of chapeltown or resident of high green etc is any more really required.   

Edited by ECCOnoob

7 minutes ago, El Cid said:

My address will be on the ballot paper, but around 50% seem to want to withhold it.

I’m surprised that as many as 50% were willing to reveal their home address  in this day and age but I suppose that parish councillors are a fairly low level target, but who knows with some of the cranks out there.

2 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I’m surprised that as many as 50% were willing to reveal their home address  in this day and age but I suppose that parish councillors are a fairly low level target, but who knows with some of the cranks out there.

I know that we have had more knife crime in the media, but even that is only as high as it was 10 ish years ago.

Are we really living in a less safe country? Gays are no longer in 'the closet' and we have laws against discrimination; so that would imply its safer now.