Rees-Mogg cosies up to German far right group with neo-Nazi links.

20 hours ago, bendix said:

And the Horseshoe theory enters the fray again . . . 

its what happens, time and time again, excusing by changing the subject :rolleyes:

21 hours ago, Resident said:

You mean in a similar fashion to Jeremy Corbyn cosying up to high ranking IRA members?

Classic whatabouterry.

Edited by nightrider

22 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Here we go again.

On the day that it is revealed that another member of the far right has been serving jail time for child grooming as well as having pleaded guilty to plotting to murder a Labour MP, maybe it is time to examine your theory that there is very little difference berween the far left and the far right.

Maybe you could answer a couple of questions.

How many members of the far left have been convicted of murdering an MP?

How many members of the far left been convicted of murdering British citizens?

How many members of the far left have been convicted of plotting to murder an MP?

How many members of the far left have been convicted of plotting acts of terrorism?

How many members of the far left have been convicted of assaults on members of ethnic minorities? 

How many members of the far left have been convicted of making death threats against politicians?

How many members of the far left have been convicted of criminal damage against places of worship?

How many members of the far left have been involved in attacks on members of the media?

Need I go on? 🙄

It's a bit assinine to conflate high level political belief frameworks and thuggish actions of a (let's face it) poorly educated and semi-literate gammon class.

I agree there is a distinction between the far left and the far right.  Of course there is.  The far left usually find themselves where they are politically through what they perceive as altruistic and highly moral motivation.  The far right - well, they're just nasty, brutish thugs usually.

That doesnt mean that - now and again - on very big picture macro political and socio-economic issues their views don't start to get closer to each other than they would like.  They don't collide - that's why it's called a horseshoe theory, not a circular theory.

5 minutes ago, bendix said:

It's a bit assinine to conflate high level political belief frameworks and thuggish actions of a (let's face it) poorly educated and semi-literate gammon class.

So you are denying that these people are far-right and embrace a far right philosophy?

On 02/04/2019 at 14:56, Top Cats Hat said:

Here we go again.

On the day that it is revealed that another member of the far right has been serving jail time for child grooming as well as having pleaded guilty to plotting to murder a Labour MP, maybe it is time to examine your theory that there is very little difference berween the far left and the far right.

Maybe you could answer a couple of questions.

How many members of the far left have been convicted of plotting to murder an MP?

How many members of the far left have been convicted of plotting acts of terrorism?

How many members of the far left have been convicted of assaults on members of ethnic minorities? 

How many members of the far left have been convicted of making death threats against politicians?

How many members of the far left have been convicted of criminal damage against places of worship?

How many members of the far left have been involved in attacks on members of the media?

Need I go on? 🙄

Without taking one side or the other in this discussion, taking one left wing organisation and answering a couple of your questions as requested:

Six MP's murdered, four convictions.

1696 assumed deaths in total, some were not British citizens. Specific data on the number of convictions is unavailable .

Edited by Tony

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 13:15, Top Cats Hat said:

So you are denying that these people are far-right and embrace a far right philosophy?

Of course I'm not denying it, although I think your contention is simplistic.   As I've said before the old 'left / right' political nexus is dead as far as I'm concerned, as the party political divides over more fundamental issues like Brexit demonstrates.  It's no longer about policies, and more about worldviews.  The Far Right (to use your term) sees the world as being shaped by political elites, usually with some kind of nefarious Soros-led global banking organisation behind it, all supported by an elite manipulated media spewing out fake news.

And, bizarrely, so do those you might call the Far Left.

Sure they have different ideas on policies and ways of operating.  I'd also argue that the far left tend to be better educated and better behaved than the far right, who have a tendency, to borrow Hobbes' description of human life, to be 'nasty, brutish and short.'     

But the real divide now is between populists and centralists, and populism captures both extreme sides of the traditional political divide.

Edited by bendix