Tips for looking for a private rental property

Hi, I am looking for a house to rent at the moment and wondered if anyone has advice on private landlords- as opposed to agents? I already get Rightmove alerts but I am aware of many who let their properties out without using an agent. Is there a register or a forum where I can ask? 

Have you tried the local social network called NextDoor? I've seen a number of matches between private landlords and tenants on there.

If you don't know NextDoor, it's a bit like Facebook, but for your neighbourhood and ones nearby. Only a very small portion of it is devoted to rentals, but it does seem to work for some people.

Thanks Dozer, I’ve never heard of this, just OpenRent which uses Rightmove anyway. I’ll have a look! 

The way it seems to work is you sign up for NextDoor, then post an ad saying what you're looking for in their free classified section.

I like NextDoor, great way to keep up on neighbourhood news.

Good luck!

23 hours ago, MrsPrawn said:

Hi, I am looking for a house to rent at the moment and wondered if anyone has advice on private landlords- as opposed to agents? I already get Rightmove alerts but I am aware of many who let their properties out without using an agent. Is there a register or a forum where I can ask? 

I let properties out without using an Agent, per se. I use uPad merely as a vehicle to getting the property on Rightmove etc.. I do the advert, the photos, the viewings, the check-in etc. all myself - hence "without using an agent". My point being - Rightmove etc. is still your best bet, rather than something you see in a shop window or Facebook page or something else that's kinda on the edges.

On 02/04/2019 at 10:31, Hippogriff said:

I let properties out without using an Agent, per se. I use uPad merely as a vehicle to getting the property on Rightmove etc.. I do the advert, the photos, the viewings, the check-in etc. all myself - hence "without using an agent". My point being - Rightmove etc. is still your best bet, rather than something you see in a shop window or Facebook page or something else that's kinda on the edges.

I didn’t think Rightmove could be used by private landlords (as opposed to letting agents) although I see this may have changed as they advertise OpenRent properties (suppose that’s still an agent of sorts).

There are many landlords who run small companies or only own one or two properties who would not advertise on Rightmove. Someone I know recently found a fantastic house, better standard than most on Rightmove (and cheaper!) from seeing a “DIY” board up. I haven’t seen any though and I drive all over the area but there must be others out there! 

On 18/04/2019 at 22:17, MrsPrawn said:

I didn’t think Rightmove could be used by private landlords (as opposed to letting agents)... 

Yes, that's what I said.