Caesars Wicker. Previous building use?

1 hour ago, iansheff said:

what usedYes that's it the Brown Cow with the Big Gun just down from Nursery Street, also the Hare and Hounds on Nursery Street.

The Big Gun is the only pub remaining in the Wicker, used to be six, not counting nearby Wicker Brewery (Hole in the Wall. Savile Street) and Lady's Bridge Hotel, both gone.

19 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

Can you remember the little mesters workshop at the side of the OXO building, behind the mortuary?

Was the old Mortuary building (still there) part of what used to be the juvenille court or was that nearby ?

Edited by St Petre
Add

3 hours ago, misspedantic said:

The AEU working Mens Club was somewhere  on Stanley  St.

Yes, known to locals as Stanley Street club. On the streetview map, there is a company called Baker Blower with a car park next to it, the club was oppsite there.

Re pubs in Wicker: I omitted from my list the Lion Hotel (Nursery Street corner), not to be confused with the White Lion which was in the Wicker.

5 hours ago, St Petre said:

The Big Gun is the only pub remaining in the Wicker, used to be six, not counting nearby Wicker Brewery (Hole in the Wall. Savile Street) and Lady's Bridge Hotel, both gone.

Was the old Mortuary building (still there) part of what used to be the juvenille court or was that nearby ?

The old mortuary was on the corner of Wicker lane and Nursery lane. The gates were opposite Gun lane. It joined on to the Juvenile court. Can you remember the refreshment house where you could get a good cheap meal just after the war. That was on the corner of Nursery street and Joiner street.

Edited by Kidorry

Can't help you with the refreshment place, sorry.

1 hour ago, Kidorry said:

The old mortuary was on the corner of Wicker lane and Nursery lane. The gates were opposite Gun lane. It joined on to the Juvenile court. Can you remember the refreshment house where you could get a good cheap meal just after the war. That was on the corner of Nursery street and Joiner street.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/F5kTH

Was that the building on the right? Behind the old coroner's court? I live on the Wicker and these stories are fascinating to me

1 hour ago, Super Hans said:

ws

Was that the building on the right? Behind the old coroner's court? I live on the Wicker and these stories are fascinating to me

Do you mean the off-white building with lots of windows on Nursery Lane ? If so that used to be the OXO building ,yes the people that made the  beef stock cubes. I don't think anything was manufactured in the place as it was for storage and warehousing and (so i was told), there was facilities for cigarette/tobacco and newspaper magazine wholesalers also. Ther used to be a big OXO sign on top of the building, Next door on Joiner Street is the buildings replacement-Oxo House- a rather splendid looking affair with an Art Deco front. If you can access Picture Sheffield and enter code s20599 ypu'll see what I mean.

Edited by St Petre
add

9 hours ago, Super Hans said:

Yes that is what is left of the building and the white gates you can see if you swivel the picture onto Nursery lane is where the little mesters workshop was.

8 hours ago, St Petre said:

Do you mean the off-white building with lots of windows on Nursery Lane ? If so that used to be the OXO building ,yes the people that made the  beef stock cubes. I don't think anything was manufactured in the place as it was for storage and warehousing and (so i was told), there was facilities for cigarette/tobacco and newspaper magazine wholesalers also. Ther used to be a big OXO sign on top of the building, Next door on Joiner Street is the buildings replacement-Oxo House- a rather splendid looking affair with an Art Deco front. If you can access Picture Sheffield and enter code s20599 ypu'll see what I mean.

Edited by Kidorry

On the corner of Stanley street and Joiner street was an open space that had red gravel on it and we spent hours on there playing football and cricket. some times about 15 a side and on Sunday dinner after the club turned out some of the men joined in and it was a great laugh to see some of them when they had had enough to drink. 

On 02/04/2019 at 19:40, St Petre said:

Yes, known to locals as Stanley Street club. On the streetview map, there is a company called Baker Blower with a car park next to it, the club was opposite there.

Re pubs in Wicker: I omitted from my list the Lion Hotel (Nursery Street corner), not to be confused with the White Lion which was in the Wicker.

I have memories of going to a Xmas party in that area, it reminded me, at the time, of parties I'd been to at the Loco Club, same food same type of people running it. Can't be certain it was that building though.

40 minutes ago, Siren said:

I have memories of going to a Xmas party in that area, it reminded me, at the time, of parties I'd been to at the Loco Club, same food same type of people running it. Can't be certain it was that building though.

40 minutes ago, Siren said:

were two dyI have memories of going to a Xmas party in that area, it reminded me, at the time, of parties I'd been to at the Loco Club, same food same type of people running it. Can't be certain it was that building though.

The Stanley Street club (now demolished) and  the building that houses Caesars-although on the same side of the street- were two different places.