LGBT issues and morality

10 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

I don't know about all religions, but certainly the Quran and Bible teach against homosexuality.

No you can't. Either you agree that homosexuality is wrong, or you disagree. You can't support two opposing arguments equally.

Conservative, old school versions of those faiths seek to read the books that way. More forward looking schools of Christianity and Islam accept it, as do many followers of both faiths.

24 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Conservative, old school versions of those faiths seek to read the books that way. More forward looking schools of Christianity and Islam accept it, as do many followers of both faiths.

Which category would you put the school protesters in?

Are conservative religious beliefs less valid?

Who do you agree with and support - those who say their religious beliefs mean homosexuality is wrong, or those who believe homosexuality is fine?

7 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Who do you agree with and support - those who say their religious beliefs mean homosexuality is wrong, or those who believe homosexuality is fine?

I support the rights of  those who say their religious beliefs tell them homosexuality is wrong to a) believe that,  b) say it and c) protest at schools.

I believe they're wrong and would happily argue the point with them.

8 minutes ago, Halibut said:

I support the rights of  those who say their religious beliefs tell them homosexuality is wrong to a) believe that,  b) say it and c) protest at schools.

Can you understand the reasoning behind their desire to protest?

2 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

Can you understand the reasoning behind their desire to protest?

Yes, but they're wrong. 

I absolutely agree. Saying that got me attacked by some of the slower of thought members of this forum.

I even feel sorry for them to a degree.  Imagine being raised with such hate in your heart.

1 hour ago, Halibut said:

So therefore, when it comes to religious views Vs equality for homosexuals, the latter wins your support. 

Just now, WiseOwl182 said:

So therefore, when it comes to religious views Vs equality for homosexuals, the latter wins your support. 

If people have a religiously inspired anti-gay stance I believe they're entitled to that stance. 

I don't believe such people have a right to discriminate against gays though.

2 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

No you can't. Either you agree that homosexuality is wrong, or you disagree. You can't support two opposing arguments equally.

Who is agreeing that homosexuality is wrong?

1 hour ago, JamesR123 said:

I absolutely agree. Saying that got me attacked by some of the slower of thought members of this forum.

I even feel sorry for them to a degree.  Imagine being raised with such hate in your heart.

I don't have 'hate in my heart', but I know bigotry when I see it, and try to explain it away by dissembling, and reducing every point into a semantic exercise puts you firmly in the camp of those who don't agree with the 'homosexual lifestyle' as you put it.  What you misinterpret as 'hate in my heart' is anger as being put down for my sexual orientation. 

I'm not even going to rise to the taunt about 'being the slower of thought members of the forum', frankly it isn't worth it. 

31 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I don't have 'hate in my heart', but I know bigotry when I see it, and try to explain it away by dissembling, and reducing every point into a semantic exercise puts you firmly in the camp of those who don't agree with the 'homosexual lifestyle' as you put it.  What you misinterpret as 'hate in my heart' is anger as being put down for my sexual orientation. 

I'm not even going to rise to the taunt about 'being the slower of thought members of the forum', frankly it isn't worth it. 

One again you have wildly misunderstood.

The ones with hate in their hearts are the protesters. I have never witnessed you being hateful.  Why on earth did you think I was talking about you?

Also, don't make quotes up.  Very very nasty.  I have described homosexual acts as actions, which they are.

You are taking the Michael.  Homosexuality is not a lifestyle, it is a sexuality.

I would never, ever, put you down for your sexuality.  To suggest I would is an insult.  You are wildly mistaken.

All I have ever said in this thread is that I understand why the protesters are protesting.  And that from their point of view, they are being moral in their actions.

Please stop strawmanning me.

Edited by JamesR123

1 hour ago, Halibut said:

If people have a religiously inspired anti-gay stance I believe they're entitled to that stance. 

I don't believe such people have a right to discriminate against gays though.

Yes, so you're supporting the LGBT rights side of the argument. No matter how you try to word it, you can only support one side in a conflicting argument.

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Who is agreeing that homosexuality is wrong?

You tell me. I was posing the question.