LGBT issues and morality

16 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

I haven't redefined anything 

bigotry
/ˈbɪɡətri/
noun
  1. intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself.
    "the difficulties of combating prejudice and bigotry"

That is the primary definition.

So hating black people isn't bigoted, it is racist.  Hating gays isn't bigoted, it is homophobic.  Hating Muslims is bigoted.

But tbh, the semantic argument is tiring and kinda irrelevant to the point.

The true definition of someone who is phobic is someone who has an irrational fear of something or some situation. So pedants who dissemble by arguing over definitions say that 'homophobia' is a misnomer, because people who that term is ascribed to aren't fearful of gay people - they just hate us. So if they're not homophobic what are they? They're bigots. People who have been on the receiving end of bigotry know exactly what it looks like and what it feels like. Reducing it to semantics takes away its ugliness and reduces it to some boring semantic exercise

Edited by Mister M

I think a phobia is an irrational fear or dislike of something. 

That's what I say when challenging homophobes who use the common defence you describe.

I have been on the receiving end of both bigotry and homophobia, and the punches felt identical.

1 minute ago, JamesR123 said:

That's what I say when challenging homophobes who use the common defence you describe.

You challenge homophobia but support the homophobes protesting outside Birmingham school?

What determines which homophobia you challenge and which homophobia you support?

7 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

You challenge homophobia but support the homophobes protesting outside Birmingham school?

What determines which homophobia you challenge and which homophobia you support?

Couldn't have put it better myself.

5 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

What on earth makes you think I support the protesters??

I can understand their mindset.  It doesn't mean I support them.

32 minutes ago, MAC33 said:

Read this link out and watch the video of several parents exposing this filth. The link to the video is near the bottom of the page.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/parents-explode-as-republicans-refuse-to-defend-kids-from-library-drag-queens

I've no problem with transgendered people or drag queens offering to go to a library to read to children. In fact I think it's very public spirited of them.

Clearly DBS checks should be done to prevent a problem of people using the guise for nefarious purposes.

I much rather that than them being indoctrinated with hate and bitterness.

Edited by Mister M

4 hours ago, JamesR123 said:

I haven't redefined anything 

bigotry
/ˈbɪɡətri/
noun
  1. intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself.
    "the difficulties of combating prejudice and bigotry"

That is the primary definition.

So hating black people isn't bigoted, it is racist.  Hating gays isn't bigoted, it is homophobic.  Hating Muslims is bigoted.

But tbh, the semantic argument is tiring and kinda irrelevant to the point.

What makes you think that the definition google pops up is "the primary definition"?  Did you try checking it in a real dictionary?

5 hours ago, Lockjaw said:

Yes they did.  And no it doesn't.

If someone adopts a value which is shared by Christians then it is a Christian value regardless of why they adopt it.

I generally help out people in distress when I come across them.  That's a  classic example of a Christian value but that doesn't mean I choose to act that way because it is a Christian value.

I think this is another language issue.  I'm not suggesting Christian values are exclusively that.  Any given Christian value can also be a value of any number of other subsections of society.  

I'm sure you and I share many Christian values.  The fact we don't adhere to them  because they are Christian values does not stop them from being Christian values.

No they didn't.  There's no evidence that they drew any values from Christianity.  Adopting a value that Christians happen to hold is not drawing values from Christianity, it's is not a Christian value in the way you are using that phrase.
Shall I quote the poster again who specifically said that Labour was founded based on Christian values?

On 18/07/2019 at 11:11, janie48 said:

If it wasn't for Christian values there wouldn't even be a Labour Party. 

You can't ignore the context of the conversation.  This statement is untrue.

3 hours ago, JamesR123 said:

What on earth makes you think I support the protesters??

It's possibly the way that you kept repeating statements they've made as if they were in fact true or correct...  You use the language of homophobia to talk about the situation, diversive language used to separate people into groups without applying any criticism or qualifications to that language.

55 minutes ago, MAC33 said:

Read this link out and watch the video of several parents exposing this filth. The link to the video is near the bottom of the page.

Parents explode as Republicans refuse to defend kids from library drag queens

Angry local parents in Lexington Park, MD, led by a MassResistance-Maryland mother, stormed their local County Commission meeting on Tuesday evening, July 9. With strongly-worded, outraged testimony, they demanded that the officials deal with the horror at their local public library.

Think of the children, lol. 😵

A reminder that it is not just crackpot Muslims but crackpot Xtians too!

11 hours ago, Cyclone said:

The history of the labour party makes no mention of Christian values nor appears to have any particular links to organised religion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_Party_(UK)

The link may not mention it, but plenty of people active in the Labour Party have acknowledged the Christian influence. 

They include not only many of those prominent politicians in the early party but also the late John Smith who had been a lay Preacher, and Tony Benn (who  though describing himself as an agnostic) spoke about the influence his Christian upbringing had on his political ideals. Even Jeremy Corbyn has made similier comments. 

So when I mentioned there wouldn't have been a Labour Party without Christian values in response to the post quoting Karl Marx,  I was thinking not only of early politicians I had read about, but about those who voted for the Labour Party at the start of its development, many (if not most at that time) would have been Christians. 

And even in present day time there are a growing number of vocal Christians who are members of the Christian Left, an organisation that is affiliated with the Labour Party.

10 hours ago, JamesR123 said:

I understand the mindset of someone who claims to hear voices telling them to kill women but that wouldn’t stop me doing everything in my power to stop them.

6 hours ago, janie48 said:

The link may not mention it, but plenty of people active in the Labour Party have acknowledged the Christian influence. 

They include not only many of those prominent politicians in the early party but also the late John Smith who had been a lay Preacher, and Tony Benn (who  though describing himself as an agnostic) spoke about the influence his Christian upbringing had on his political ideals. Even Jeremy Corbyn has made similier comments. 

So when I mentioned there wouldn't have been a Labour Party without Christian values in response to the post quoting Karl Marx,  I was thinking not only of early politicians I had read about, but about those who voted for the Labour Party at the start of its development, many (if not most at that time) would have been Christians. 

And even in present day time there are a growing number of vocal Christians who are members of the Christian Left, an organisation that is affiliated with the Labour Party.

Of course they are all likely to have Christian values, having been brought up in a predominantly Christian society and with Christianity as the state religion.

The same applies to Conservatives, Liberals (and Lib Dems), UKIP, the Brexit Party etc etc. There’s no specific Christian link to Labour